Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Hello Stephen,

I seem to remember a wonderful Welsh long jumper called Lynn Davies... he won the Olympic Gold Medal in the event in 1964 in Tokyo. He also competed in the 100metres too. He is now 68 years old, and President of the UK Members Council (Athletics).

best wishes

Phil
    "Lynn The Leap" mun....what a legend

Comment

• The Good Michael wrote:
      Kim was a common American boy's name in the late 50s. Why not Lynn?

Kelly Slater. Not a Charlie's Angel, but one of the best athletes of all times...
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

• Rubyretro wrote:
        And john wayne was born 'Marion'.

There are lots of male Marions in France, Ruby! Which totally cracks me up. (There's even a joke about this name in Truffaut's black-and-white thriller Vivement Dimanche.)
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• There is a boy called Kym in my form.
          In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

• Kate,
            what's a form?
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

• a school class in high school. although they kept kicking off in ourschool cos we called them Forms when apparently your supposed to say Year. whatever. anyway, Kym? unlucky mate

Comment

• It's not always easy to understand the Brits' lingo, Maria; but it seems as though Kate is saying that there is a boy named Kym who looks exactly like her.

Comment

• Thanks, AmmanValleyJack.
                  I know, Maurice! I guess I'm too Yankee for really understanding the Brits. Sometimes I can hardly understand the accents. And vice versa. I really have to work it to keep up a (totally fake) British accent when in England. But somehow I could never speak in my natural (Yankee) accent when there, it sounds like a total sacrilege somehow.
                  But I think the British are totally cool: bol*ocks, sh*g, k*ickers, ninny, Nancy boy. I like! (Plus there are Shakespearean pentameters.)
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

• accents

Hello Maria. Conversely, most Brits can speak nearly flawless Yank. I have an old b/w film with an actor who is obviously Scottish. (Like me, he has the dark, swarthy skin, black hair, penetrating brown eyes, crazy eyebrows, and so on.) He doesn't give himself away--at least, not until he slips one and says "convairt." I looked him up. Och, a Scotsman right enoof!

But for that one lapse, he does Yank perfectly, having mastered the high nasal pitch, short "a's," "o's' sounding like "aw" and so on.

But, of course, I love ALL accents and should be quite sorry if they disappeared.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Hello Lynn.
                      Obviously, you're not talking about Sean Connery. (In a black-and-white movie?) I like Scottish accents very much, if maybe not the extremely rhotic one (“rrrrrrrrrrr“), or (definitely) not at all the way Connery speaks. But I think that for the latter it's mostly that alcohol is involved? And Irish English sounds to me quite a bit like the Brooklyn accent.
                      I can do accents, as most musicians can anyway. (It's in the ear.) But the natural way English comes to me when speaking is Yankee, probably because I practically learned my English from rock music and from the movies, which in Greece (where I grew up) are not dubbed. Actually I think it's a social thing, but when I speak to someone, I'm automatically adjusting to their accent. Not just to avoid being rude, but simply because communication's easier that way.
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

• Hi Maria,

Shoorely you can't be sheerius.

Have you never sheen "Hell Drivers" [1957]?

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Yeesh, that'sh exjaactly how Sean Connery shpeaks. I'm pretty sure this is not Edindurgh speak. Is it regional? (Or does he have a problem with his teeth?)
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

• Hi Maria,

It must be regional. I'm shertain Sean Connery's teeth are the best money can buy.

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Possibly it's an Isle of Skye accent.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
                                But the natural way English comes to me when speaking is Yankee, probably because I practically learned my English from rock music and from the movies, which in Greece (where I grew up) are not dubbed. Actually I think it's a social thing, but when I speak to someone, I'm automatically adjusting to their accent. Not just to avoid being rude, but simply because communication's easier that way.
                                Come again, Maria? Then one or both of us must have been seriously in our cups at the conf, because I had the greatest trouble grappling with your accent and understanding what you were saying (although to be fair the music was quite loud and I'm a bit mutton).

Not an English nor Yankee note to be heard. It was all Greek to me.

Hi Lynn,

So you have dark, swarthy skin, black hair, penetrating brown eyes and crazy eyebrows? Or were you jesting too?

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X