No announcement yet.

Ripper Conference 2009: London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I presume by Adam's last post...I can now come along to the evening "do" and meet everyone! Yipeeeeeee............

Janie...............I'd love to meet up,as I haven't got a ticket....and shall be standing outside with me ear to the door tryin' to hear what's going on.

Ohhhh.............hmm..............what shall I wear...decisions,decisions...

Comment

• I've been looking at East End pubs for a discussion on another thread and discovered that the King's Stores is a Greene King pub. So, in addition to detailed reports on what happens at the conference, some of us would appreciate knowing if the Old Speckled Hen and Abbot Ale are well kept.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        I've been looking at East End pubs for a discussion on another thread and discovered that the King's Stores is a Greene King pub. So, in addition to detailed reports on what happens at the conference, some of us would appreciate knowing if the Old Speckled Hen and Abbot Ale are well kept.
        I'll check them out for you, GM. Purely out of a sense of duty, you understand...
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Thank you, Gareth. It's comforting to know that there are people willing to make such a sacrifice for those of us who are unable to attend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            I'll check them out for you, GM. Purely out of a sense of duty, you understand...
            Gareth, I wouldn't hear of it. You needn't put yourself out for Grave Maurice.... allow me to take on your burden.

I'm in Spitalfields tonight and tomorrow and hard though it will be for me, I will attempt to try out the beers at the King's Stores. It's not going to be easy, but the sense of duty is overwhelming.

Speckled Hen, Abbot's, IPA. Think of me during those hard times....

Comment

• Thanks for the sacrifice John, I'll prepare your namebadge as Official Beer Taster.

Anna, that's correct - anyone can join the delegates for the evening, free of charge, on both Saturday and Sunday. I'll check with those a running table in the book room, but it might be possible to access that too.

Best wishes
              Adam

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
                Thanks for the sacrifice John, I'll prepare your namebadge as Official Beer Taster.
                It's a dirty job, Adam, but somebody has to do it.

Comment

• And heres me hoping for promotion from Bog tester.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
                    Thanks for the sacrifice John, I'll prepare your namebadge as Official Beer Taster.
                    The great 'sacrifice' was made last night. Following an early tour, I popped into the King's Stores for a pint. I tried the Greene King IPA first, which was very good. Pushing the boat out, I then had a pint of Speckled Hen which was superb.

Both looked lovely (straight out of an advertising photo), but the Speckled hen won. Warning - a night on the Speckled Hen can induce serious wobbling and eventual falling over!

Comment

• Both my favourite pints there and add Abbot Ale to that...a joy to behold.

Comment

• Hats off to that man.......

....for making the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of the greater good- Now mission II, check out the availability and quantities of Stolli
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• John,

Thanks for undergoing that tough task on my behalf. I'm relieved to hear the beer meets with you approval.

Combine that with the quality of talks we've lined up, looks like the conference is going to be rather good...

Adam

Comment

• Conference Line-revealed

Dear all,

I'm pleased to be able to reveal the final, complete list of speakers and events at this year's conference.

Times of lectures, breaks and entertainment will follow, but in chronological order, the events are as given below.

SATURDAY 24 OCTOBER - 1889
                            Colin Cobb (MC)
                            Stuart Orme on Claypipe Alice
                            Chris George on From Kelly to MacKenzie: The Police Activity of 1889
                            M J Trow on the Torso Murders
                            Richard Jones on the Cleveland Street Scandal
                            Evening entertainment
                            Book room sales

SUNDAY 25 OCTOBER -
                            Ripper Tour with Philip Hutchinson
                            Paul Begg on ‘Leather Apron’
                            Philip Hutchinson on The Dutfield Yard photograph
                            Ripperland: A film by John Bennett
                            Outstanding Achievement Award
                            Ripper Raffle and Auction
                            Book room sales

Best wishes
                            Adam Wood
                            Organiser, Ripper Conference 2009

Comment

• Adam,

last conference I picked up something a bit more than a book ! I think that they are dangerous, you can leave with a future husband lined up!

Jenni
                              “be just and fear not”

Comment

• [QUOTE=jdpegg;98011
                                last conference I picked up something a bit more than a book ! I think that they are dangerous, you can leave with a future husband lined up!
                                Jenni[/QUOTE]

Hi, Jenni.

Well it must be cheaper than ordering them mail-order from Russia, right?

Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X