No announcement yet.

Ripper Conference 2009: London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was lucky to be at my PC in time to book a seat. Lucky because it went so quick and because I already had booked flight and hotel ages ago.

But I'm worried now, because the main reason for me going there (additionally to my usual August WS1888 meeting) was and is to finally meet lots of people from over the pond whom I only know via email so far.

Flight, hotel and arrangements do cost a lot. Please do something!

Christian

Comment

• Well, if I've been shut out of the conference, maybe I'll use the time to go to my other favourite city, Paris. I've always wanted to open a collection agency there. I intend to call it Jacques le Re-pay.

Comment

• I'm really a bit confused here...all sold out...but I can only find two speakers listed. I was eagerly awaiting word on who else would be speaking before I made the final decision. Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem like a lot of trouble for a pot-luck Conference.

Comment

• Well it looks like everyone should be happy then: the 65 in the right place at the right time to opt for a pot-luck Ripper Conference, and the rest who will not now have to take a gamble on Ripper territory but can afford to splash out their £75 on some guaranteed excitement elsewhere.

Sorted.

And so quickly too.

I thought for a minute it might be a case of those who are not trying to organise a conference taking cheap pops for the next six months at those who are.

And then I'd have got my own dig in by suggesting Adam get off his lazy arse and get the health & safety, perhaps even the listed buildings rules changed in time to build a whacking great modern extension to a London pub so nobody has to face a bit of personal disappointment.

Adam doesn't suck.

But sod's law can if you let it.

Love,

Caz
          X
          Last edited by caz; 04-10-2009, 03:10 PM.
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• I know I'm standing on the inside looking out but there are a few things I would like to point out.

Firstly, the RipCon in 2008 in Knoxville had barely 40 attendees, in spite of a big and plush hotel being used for it. It is therefore immediately understandable that with such a low turnout being the case at the time recession hit, Adam would not expect a great deal more.

Secondly, there is hardly a wealth of available locations in the East End that may accomodate 100+ people (please remember that UK Conferences in the past have always been around the 100 mark; 65 is hardly a decimation). To find a pub in the East End at all able to take in 65 people in Conference style is quite something in my opinion.

Thirdly, any location that could indeed accomodate more people would be cost-prohibitive and I am sure part of Adam's reasoning was to keep it financially viable.

I do not see anything different Adam could have done and he's simply been fortunate/unfortunate in that more people wanted to attend than he could have expected. His expectation was an under-estimation but given what happened last year and what is happening now, I certainly think it was the right decision.

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi Philip

You were obviously one of the lucky 65!!

Coral

Comment

• I suppose it's a good thing Nunweek's not in charge of the conference. Then there'd only be 39 tickets!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Were you all waiting for a personal invite?

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Fact

Wolverhampton Conference - 46 attendees were WS members.

Many others would have gone but could not afford it.

The fact that this conference is in London would have enabled many more WS members to attend - because they could have gone home at night.

Comment

• Coral,

Are you stating that the conference vacancies should be open WS members first and foremost?

This despite them holding their own monthly meetings?

Is the conference an extention of the WS?

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        I suppose it's a good thing Nunweek's not in charge of the conference. Then there'd only be 39 tickets!
                        ... or Macnaghten, for that matter
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• No Monty

That is not what I am stating.

In previous years when Claudia was involved all previous attendees were emailed in advance or were contacted by snail-mail to be be given the first opportunity to register.

Not only on the Wolverhampton attendees list were WS members but many who had attended the previous conferences going back to 1998.

And just to put the record straight - I am no longer anything to do with the WS - I am a member only

Coral
                          Last edited by coral; 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Sorry Coral,

Just that when you specifically mentioned WS attendees instead of previous attendees I naturally assumed that WS members had allocation preference at conferences.

The fact is that Adam placed regular updates upon this site, JtR Forums, the Conferences own website and Facebook. The fact that you are on here now indicates to me you have internet access, if albeit limited. It is unfortunate that some have missed out and Im sure Adam and Andy are trying to work a way around this issue. However, if you have been following the Conference threads you will note the issues they have been having arranging this years conference, and the time restraints that were a result of a 3rd parties policy change. To organise something within such short time frame has been quite admirable in my opinion. Its either this or nothing.

Can I ask, was the Conference ever discussed at WS meetings? I believe Adam attends these events.

Monty

PS - Thanks for pointing out but by being a member you indeed have something to do with the WS
                            Last edited by Monty; 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM.
                            Monty

Comment

• I think notice should have been given in advance. I too was out of town this weekend and had no way of registering. I only found out the tickets were on sale at the same time I found out they were all sold out. I do believe that advance notice should have been given.

But I also believe it's not my game, and monday morning quarterbacking isn't going to get us anywhere. I am sad that I won't be able to attend, I had planned to tack the conference onto a trip to Ireland and was really looking forward to attending and seeing some people, but hopefully there will be other conferences. I do actually hope that the vast majority of people who got spots ARE those who have attended in the past and who have enjoyed it in the past and aren't just facebook nimrods out for a day of cosplay.

And while I said on the nonference thread that they might have anticipated low numbers, I think many of the reasons that would have been due to the economy (ie expensive hotel, package deals, etc) were largely waived by it being held in London and everyone able to make their own accommodations and that a large number of people would have attended, so it is unfortunate this wasn't anticipated. I also think the low turn out to the knoxville conference had nothing to do with the economy. Only one person I spoke to cited the economy as the reason the wouldn't be attending, and that person had never been anyway. The majority who were regular conference goers had ..other ..reasons not to attend.

But all that aside. It's over. We are disappointed, but that's life I suppose. I hope that everyone who got a spot has a fabulous time. The next time, I am sure that they will learn from this mistake and send out advance notice to the old guard, and give priority to people who have attended previous conferences before opening it up to the masses.

But over and done. And Adam does too suck. And the next time I see him, I am going to beat him with a truncheon.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Ally,

You and I both know that he will look forward to that.

I do understand the points you and Coral raise.

Monty
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X