Dr Barnardo is the killer...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucan

There's a certain 'charm' about Lucky- but maybe that's because of his self imposed charm/birth etc The glamour of those wealthy enough to be in that set at that time is hard to deny.... (Maybe Mrs/Lady L may deny that though!)

....BUT...........OK it's a good story and in it's way a seriously good 'whodunnit'- but compared to JTR -we have a vague idea about what went on and the dramatis personae with Lucan -but taking a grey/invisible man out of the very local 'locals' around the East End could prove (has proved) a lot trickier!!!
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Lord Lucan

I believe Lucan holds the rather dubious honour of being the last person named a murderer by the Coroners Jury.

Comment

Yep that's right,he does!

Comment

An Eyewitness Ripper Question...

Hello All,
          Leaving Lord Lucan to one side for a moment, I'd like to ask a Dr Barnardo-related question about Ripper eye-witness reports.

QUESTION: Did any of the vast number of alleged eye-witnesses to the movement of suspected Jack the Ripper persons, before or after the event see either of the following:
          [1] A diminuative, dapperly dressed and very widely known doctor wandering the streets of the East End carrying a wooden packing case?
          [2] Or, see the same dimunuative spats-wearing doctor being guided by another person because of his very bad eye-sight?
          NOTE: According to June Rose's biography of Dr Barnardo, FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN (Hodder & Stoughton) 1987 at page 17, Dr Barnardo was five feet three inches tall and wore blue tinted, thick lensed glasses for his entire life due to defective eye-sight. He was a very dapper dresser and almost never went anywhere in the East End without an associate from his organisation. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hmmm interesting..most pictures I can trace seem to show spectacles of some kind..not especially thick though.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	654202

Name:	bar1.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	654203 (Mind you this could be the proof!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
              Dr Barnardo was five feet three inches tall and wore blue tinted, thick lensed glasses for his entire life due to defective eye-sight. He was a very dapper dresser and almost never went anywhere in the East End without an associate from his organisation. JOHN RUFFELS.
              Finally a man shorter than me.

Someone mentioned Bathory earlier on wasn't she a fit up.

On topic, is there any real argument that Barnardo might have been the killer as what I read here seems a tad weak even by ripperology standards.

Chris Lowe

Comment

Hi Suzi,
                The picture you have at the bottom is of a little lad called Jim Jarvis who in 1967 took Barnardo on a tour of gutters and rooftops of the East End to show him where lots of boys were sleeping.
                Barnardo had a sketchy past and wrote details of most of his past history himself.
                In Stepney first at the beginning of 1868 at Hope Place-wasn't Stride in Stepney...and doesn't Stepney feature with Kelly-Stepney Gas Works.
                Anyway,he does take pictures of the kids who come into their home,every kid has their photo taken when they arrive and at several months..
                obviously,not in the way that was suggested at the weekend!
                The were famous and called his "before and after"cards and were sold in packs of 20 for 5 shillings or 6d for one,and had titles below them,such as
                "one little vagrant".
                His seventh child had special needs.
                At 50 he has some sort of heart complaint and has to rest.
                Can't find any reference to bad eyesight.Bob obviously knows a lot about the chap,perhaps he can tell us if this is right or wrong.
                Sorry if some of this info is already on the thread,had to rush this p.m.so didn't have time to look through thread to see what info is already posted.

Comment

Chris,
                  Where were you over this last weekend????
                  Oh my word,....ok.....let's just say,
                  By Sunday the prospect of obtaining a gun or failing that finding a very tall building,were beginning to look like an attractive proposition.
                  And, in answer to your question.....
                  NO,DR BARNARDO was not JACK....the person who suggested this had no proof whatsoever to back up his claim.
                  Now,let's turn the light out and hide, incase The Prophet/Alex returns for a re-match!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Anna- Did you mean 1867??? hehehe!!! Shame that Dr B looks a lot more like JTR than is comfortable in that rather disturbing little book cover!!!

Suz xxx

And the Alex/M.Prophet are beginning to meld a tad aren't they!!!

Comment

• Little Jim

Hi all- If you Google Jim Jarvis there are some interesting links there:-

Name:	jj1.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	654204 Jim with the good Doctor (or JTR!)

Name:	jj3.jpg
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	654205 The Good Doctor!!

Name:	jj2.jpg
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	654206 Some little mites 'rescued' by Dr B

Suz x

Comment

• Hi Suzi......
                        oooops again!!This time I had my glasses on!!!!!
                        Yep,he sure does look a little "spooky" doesn't he possum!,
                        But,I still can't go for Dr B...
                        Mind you,lots of outwardly respectable gentlemen liked "a little of what you fancy does you good"with unfortunate women,but I really can't see this guy amongst them.
                        Spooky also,that the "Irish" comes in(Mary)Stepney(Liz)studious but with temper when at school(Kate).........all we need is crochet and decorating hats and we're onto a winner!!!
                        Anna.

Comment

• Sorry,you may be wondering where the "Irish" comes in....
                          He was Irish.....born in Dublin.

Comment

• Hi again!! Hehe! I can't get anywhere near this pc (or find it half the time !!!)without my specs on!!! That's why I keep mi posh ones upstairs for bed reading!- and have all sorts of 'funky' readers all over the house!! ...Wouldn't to get caught between pairs!!!
                            Yep know what you mean about the 'respectable' gents and there 'Ello my dear fancy an 'orrible time' little games...Hmmmmmmmmmmm think we may have something here.....Must get on with mi crochet though!!!!

Seriously though- as to Dr B I'm almost totally convinced that Alex/Prophet are backing a non-runner here......but of course we await the great (da da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaa da!) revelation don't we!!!??? !!!

All I can say-having read more about Dr B than is good for a girl over the past few days-I'm sure that he was responsible for many great and good works-that's undeniable!- but I'm not sure I'd have liked him!

Suz xxxxx

Yep sussed the Dublin bit! hehe x
                            Last edited by Suzi; 06-30-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by truebluedub View Post
                              On topic, is there any real argument that Barnardo might have been the killer as what I read here seems a tad weak even by ripperology standards.

Chris Lowe
                              no.

joel
                              if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

• If Dr B Wasn't On the Suspect List He should Have Been

Greetings All,
                                As Horace said: " Coincidence makes fools of us all ".
                                So, let's look at some of the co-incidings which vault Dr Barnardo to the head of the "obviously should have been on the list" category:

[1]He was foreign-looking (Spanish and German Jewish ancestry (and some Catholic Irish);
                                [2]He was familiar with the East End parishes of London, having worked there for about 20 years by 1888;
                                [3]He was a medical man who carried a black bag and talked to prostitutes in lodging houses in Flower and Dean Street;
                                [4]His major work was "rescuing" the progeny of street women and their more anonymous partners.Could this have provided a motive?;
                                [5]He had known Sir Robert Anderson and his family since he ( Dr B.) was employed by Sir robert's father in Dublin.Sir robert was later on the Board of Barnardo's Homes;
                                [6] After World war One, A Miss Anne Macnaghten acted as co-governor of Barnardo's girls home at Barkingside (Dr B. was dead by then);
                                [7]Barnardo created work for his ex-"street arabs" as bootblacks: these were
                                called the " union Jack Brigade" they were placed in lodgings called by the locals " Jack's Happy Homes ";
                                [8] Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence was a frequent speaker at the Working Lads Institute in Whitechapel, when Dr Barnardo sent parties of boys or girls to Canada]
                                [9] Barnardo himself exploited the Ripper scare to prise much-needed funds from wealthy aristocrats and brewery tycoons;
                                [10] He publicly stated that he had spoken to one Ripper victim at her lodging house the night before she was murdered.
                                If Dr Barnardo wasnot on the police JTR suspects list, he should have been.
                                **Don't forget what Horace said. JOHN RUFFELS.
                                [5]

Comment

Working...
                                X