Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 120 year old trail is freezing

Hello everybody,

IMHO there are just far too many suspects in this bewildering case for a concensus of opinion to ever agree on the true identity of Jack the Ripper. If the experts on the scene in 1888 couldn't solve the puzzle then what hope is there for today's armchair detectives ?

Peace to you all,

Joseph

Hi Joseph

I live in hopes.

Re consensus, it is possible for one person to know who JTR was, without anyone else agreeing with him. So a consensus isn't necessary. However, it's unlikely that anyone ever will know who JTR was.

Comment

Freezing?
      It's bloody boiling in my armchair.
      Everyday I find five or six fellows far more likely to have murdered women in Whitechapel in 1888 than the usual candidates, simply because they were in Whitechapel in 1888 and did murder people.

Comment

So A.P.,

Which one of these fellows looks like the best fit, so far?

Comment

Ask me in a year, Scott, there are still a lot more out there to look at.

Comment

You sound awfully confident, Joseph. Perhaps that means... YOU DID IT!
            All my blogs:
            MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
              Hello everybody,

IMHO there are just far too many suspects in this bewildering case for a concensus of opinion to ever agree on the true identity of Jack the Ripper. If the experts on the scene in 1888 couldn't solve the puzzle then what hope is there for today's armchair detectives ?
              Exactly.
              None. You can't solve a 120 year old murder case and certainly not prove a person's guilt to the extent that would unanimously make all the experts agree. After 120 years there simply isn't enough evidence to point at anyone. This is not only true regarding the Ripper case but also every other unsolved murder case at least 80 years old or more.

All the best
              The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Is there anybody else that isn't just here to find JtR? I have a keen interest in the times and also in the many suspects. I like the fact that nobody will ever conclusively know who the killer was. Part of the fascination has to be exactly that. It's not freezing, the amount of money and hard work that still goes into research only goes to show that there is still a keen interest and more to add to the discussions all the time.

IMHO there would be a lot of people who wouldn't want a conclusive answer to the mystery as they would have to find real jobs and I would have to start working during the day instead of sitting on here

Peter
                Living the Dream!

Comment

Hello you all!

When one has feet on the ground, there are two things;

1. We can only achieve a justified guess, who Mary Jane Kelly really was,

and then the main thing;

2. We can only achieve a justified guess, who Jack the Ripper really was.

All the best
                  Jukka
                  "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi all,
                    Hope you are all well on this super sunny morning.
                    Remembering that information has turned up in the recent past,there's no knowing what lies hidden.
                    Nowadays,with the advent of bootsales,and with the craze of "clearing out our clutter" and of course house renovations,loft rooms,etc....
                    Better chance now than there ever has been of someone unearthing something saved from days past,that's been collecting dust,that suddenly sees the light of day....the unfortunate downside of this may be that someone has a relatives house to clear,finds something,and because they're not savvy with JTR won't know what they've got,and just throws away a bunch of documents,photos..whatever.
                    Which is why,when I go to aucton or find a secondhand bookshop,I always have a good look amongst old book pages to see if there anything tucked in amongst them.It's fun,and it doesn't take much time.You should try it.
                    I recently purchased the paperwork of one family from Rochester,Kent that has a letter that was the last one (written in copperplate,and very poetical)from a father to his son from his deathbed,from over 100 years ago.
                    The remaining family were not interested,and everything would have been discarded at the end of the auction.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                      Perhaps it would be easier to show who JtR is not by excluding the characteristics that are most unlikely. eg, is he over 6 ft? Is he a child? Does he wear hobnial boots? Does he look like Frankenstein? While these may seem frivolous questions, by asking more thought out questions it would at least narrow the field of characteristics that could discount most of the "suspects". What d'ya reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by revpetero View Post
                        Is there anybody else that isn't just here to find JtR? I have a keen interest in the times and also in the many suspects. I like the fact that nobody will ever conclusively know who the killer was. Part of the fascination has to be exactly that. It's not freezing, the amount of money and hard work that still goes into research only goes to show that there is still a keen interest and more to add to the discussions all the time.

IMHO there would be a lot of people who wouldn't want a conclusive answer to the mystery as they would have to find real jobs and I would have to start working during the day instead of sitting on here

Peter
                        Good point. Think of all the authors who would be out of a job if they didn't have Jack to write about. Most of it is tripe but whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Investigator View Post
                          Hi everyone,
                          Perhaps it would be easier to show who JtR is not by excluding the characteristics that are most unlikely. eg, is he over 6 ft? Is he a child? Does he wear hobnial boots? Does he look like Frankenstein? While these may seem frivolous questions, by asking more thought out questions it would at least narrow the field of characteristics that could discount most of the "suspects". What d'ya reckon?
                          What about the most important characteristic...

Were they in Whitechapel in 1888?
                          Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                          Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

If CCTV existed in 1888, and someone discovered footage of, for example, Eddowes being bumped off in Mitre Square, there'd still be people who would cry "Fake!" in 1888. It's how it is.

Cheers,

Graham
                            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Abberline,

Good point. Think of all the authors who would be out of a job if they didn't have Jack to write about. Most of it is tripe but whatever...

Who are all these authors who would be out of a job? The number of writers about the Ripper who ever get more than an occasional coffee from their efforts could probably be counted on Homer Simpson's four-fingered hand. For most it is only a frustrating labor of love.

Don.
                              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
                              X