Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with NYT archives!

Hello,
    Is there anyone on casebook who has successfully purchased articles from the New York Times archives?
    I've found the articles I want from 1909, but just can't figure out how to purchase them, after an hour staring at the help screen I'm still non the wiser!!
    If some kind soul has done it and could give me a hint it will be much appreciated, thanks
    Debs

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    Hello,
    Is there anyone on casebook who has successfully purchased articles from the New York Times archives?
    I've found the articles I want from 1909, but just can't figure out how to purchase them, after an hour staring at the help screen I'm still non the wiser!!
    If some kind soul has done it and could give me a hint it will be much appreciated, thanks
    Debs

Hi Debra

I have been able to access period NYT articles with no problem, free, gratis. Am I supposed to pay? Send me a PM and tell me what you need.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi Debs

I think I've clicked up free articles too. My impression was that as you went through the 20th century, they were more insistent about money.

Robert

Comment

Hi Chris and Robert,
        I've had freebies before, but it's just not playing this time so I figured I must have to pay for them there ones I'm after now.

Chris, I have pm'd you, thank you kindly!

Debs

Comment

Certainly the archive section (1850-1980) still appears to be free
          The url below is for a search on the term "Whitechapel" - just substitute the search term you want

Live news, investigations, opinion, photos and video by the journalists of The New York Times from more than 150 countries around the world. Subscribe for coverage of U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, science, health, arts, sports and more.

Comment

I've done all that Chris, I have my eye on what I want, just when it says PDF version....no joy!

Comment

Debs
              When you click on the link for an individual article that says "View Full Article" it should open in the pdf in a seperate window
              Do you have up to date Acrobat Reader installed?

Comment

Chris,
                I get a PDF to open in a separate window, but when I do it's blank, I've waited 20 mins for something to appear on one occasion (which is a very long long time for me!) and nothing happens. I've never had a problem with acrobat reader before, I've updated adobe acrobat, I've unplugged (Mike's advice) and blown! ...nothing.

Debs

Comment

I seem to be able to read the PDF files just fine. Which ones were you looking for?
                  "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Do the exact same search through Google, Debs, the files load up then, as long as you are registered with the NYT.

Comment

Hi Debra,

I am registered with NYT. Let me know the dates of what you're after and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Debs,

It's nothing that you're doing wrong. Most of the free archive articles will readily open in .ppd format, but occasionally an article will not open.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to read the full article from 10 November 1888 on Mary Jane Kelly's murder. All I can get is the headline:

'EXCITING LONDON EVENTS; THE PARNELL INQUIRY AND ANOTHER BUTCHERY. A GREAT PARTISAN STRUGGLE BEGUN IN JUSTICE HANNEN'S COURT--THE SEVENTH WHITECHAPEL MURDER.'

I wait, and wait, and wait. The article never loads.

Bulldog

Comment

Hi Bulldog,

Here ya go.

NYT 10th November 1888.

Regards,

Simon

Click image for larger version

Name:	KELLY 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	654057

Name:	KELLY 2.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	654058

Name:	KELLY3.jpg
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	654059
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                            Hi Chris and Robert,
                            I've had freebies before, but it's just not playing this time so I figured I must have to pay for them there ones I'm after now.

Chris, I have pm'd you, thank you kindly!

Debs
                            Hi Debs

No pm has come through. Is there a glitch?

Chris
                            Christopher T. George
                            Editor, Ripperologist
                            http://www.ripperologist.biz
                            http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Debs,

I should have also noted that sometimes only part of the article will open in the .pdf window. And sometimes it's not the beginning of the article! You may only see the last few paragraphs.

I'm not complaining. The N Y Times has literally tens of thousands of free articles available for download, and I've only encountered a few problems with articles failing to open properly.

If you want to try a comprehensive, although clunky, search tool for N Y Times free articles, here's an interesting URL:

An index of all New York Times stories published.

It breaks down the free stuff into decades, then year and month. Below that all you'll see are headlines.

Beware - it can be addictive. While many of the headlines are boring ('Engagement of Miss Emily Tilden Announced', 'Incoming Ships', 'Harvard Wins at Football'), some of them are real teasers. You simply can't skip over them wihout reading the full article.

Bulldog

Comment

Working...
                              X