No announcement yet.

How did you get interested in Jack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep water has always made me shudder. The sea, rivers...I do not want to go on them, over them, or in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
      It took me years to not be queasy looking at drawings or paintings of Titanic going under - and that ending to the 1953 film with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck did not help matters (the displacement of water when she went under looked like she would be flooding Greenland!). But I did calm down a bit, especially after Dr. Ballard found the wreck and pictures of her shattered hull were finally seen in the late 1980s. The Lusitania wreck looks like it was flattened by a steamroller. Bismarck and Empress of Ireland and Andrea Doria look recognizable.

Now if I could only get used to the photos of Mary Kelly that keep being reprinted in Ripper books. There is some hope - I find I'm more used to looking at photos of the dead Elizabeth Short ("the Black Dahlia") nowadays.

Jeff
      I'm not a visual person. While pictures can be shocking at first, I get used to it very quickly.

The things that haunt me are auditive. Like that guy on 9/11 who was talking to a 9-1-1 operator for several minutes, only to find out the building was collapsing beneath his feet.
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I got interested in Jack the Ripper way back in 1988. Once I saw the Michael Caine film I got just about any book I could find and read up on it. Started with Stephen Knight, Donald Rumbalow, Paul Begg, ect. Still reading and interested to this day. I guess the mystery of it all has kept me intrigued all these years.

Comment

It was around 1987. As a young teen I loved to read murder mysteries. I went into my local book shop and found that I had read all the Agatha Christie in stock. I had a look around and decided on a true life mystery instead, and ended up buying Don Rumbelows book. I was hooked.
          After that I couldn't find anything else to buy. Luckily the centenary was round the corner and a few books got released. I still have Summing Up And Verdict, by Colin Wilson and Robin Odell, and The Ripper Legacy by Keith Skinner and Martin Howells. They're a bit tatty now thou.

Comment

Working...
          X