A Vagabond’s Revenge [1915]
    The Woman Who Was Nothing [1917]

and a couple of others.

Uhuh...

Here's his filmography:

http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2ba67689e5

Comment

Yes indeed, plus he made a few films :

Known for: The Gay Lord Quex, The Woman Who Was Nothing, A Place in the Sun

Comment

Aargh!

Cross-posted again!

Comment

Well I say!!!

How wonderfully kind you have been (all)...

I will indeed pa you Robert..and again to Sally and yourself..much thanks.

By the way..what was the outcome of the "Freake" affair in court? And is there a photo of him as well by chance?

I know of some dear friends who will be most pleased with this bundle of information. One looking into the Freake connection..cricket wise..The other looking into his adversary.

Thank you both muchly.

Phil

P'S Robert..I am fairly well thank you my friend. Getting older but am getting along. Hope you too are well?
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
            So there's a photograph of the man with the dodgy photographs?
            Hi Sally, Robert
            There are about 6 photographs of him at the NA. This is one of them from the 1890's.

Comment

Thanks Debra! He does look a bit flamboyant, actually

Comment

Wow! Thanks, Debs.

Hi Phil

I'm fine thanks - not a day older than I was this morning!

Re the outcome, it looks like they resolved their differences, with Gibson getting £1200 and £100 costs and both sides withdrawing their imputations. I'll send you that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  Well I say!!!

How wonderfully kind you have been (all)...

I will indeed pa you Robert..and again to Sally and yourself..much thanks.

By the way..what was the outcome of the "Freake" affair in court? And is there a photo of him as well by chance?

I know of some dear friends who will be most pleased with this bundle of information. One looking into the Freake connection..cricket wise..The other looking into his adversary.

Thank you both muchly.

Phil

P'S Robert..I am fairly well thank you my friend. Getting older but am getting along. Hope you too are well?
                  Hi Phil

With regard to the Freake affair, there was quite a lot of press coverage. Gibson brought actions against people, including a woman - although it isn't clear whether this was the woman involved in the love triangle with Gibson and Freake - the eventual outcome of which was that they each paid him £300 in settlement. He also received £200 in costs. The subtext of the press coverage is that Gibson had in his possession some compromising material pertaining to Freake's affair with the anonymous lady. There is some indication that Gibson was blackmailing Freake or attempting to do so.

It appears that Freake, with some allies, conspired to kidknap and restrain Gibson so that Freake could retrieve letters and photographic negatives from Gibson's premises without hindrance - whereupon he destroyed them.

I'm happy to email you some of the press articles if you PM me an email address to send them to.

Comment

There's a detailed account of the court proceedings in The Wells Journal 09 October 1890. It may appear elsewhere as well.

Comment

Excellent Sally,

Just popped my head in to see if Phil had replied & hey presto, you've found him.

I'll go back to work now..
                      Amanda

Comment

On the subject of actor managers I couldn't resist posting this, with the late greats Moody and Rutherford :

Comment

Incase of interest..

Sir T.G.A.Freake was invited to be President of the Fulwell Cricket Club on 25th Oct. 1884. The club had previously been known as Hampton Hill and District C.C. This was the 2nd Annual General Meeting.
                          Hampton Hill, which at the time was officially known as New Hampton by the way..has one tiny weeny connection with Jack the Ripper. George Morris, he of Mitre Square fame, was living there at the time of the 1881 cencus and beyond..probably in 1888 as well... (No. 48 Pantile Close).

Many thanks again to Debs..Robert...Sally and Amanda for your input. Still haven't found a photo of Mr. Freake though..lol ☺

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil, I was looking at the cricket angle.....and then realised that I couldn't tell you anything you didn't already know :

Did you get the two attachments I sent?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Phil, I was looking at the cricket angle.....and then realised that I couldn't tell you anything you didn't already know :

Did you get the two attachments I sent?
                              Hello Robert,

Yes..Thank you..I did indeed ☺ Forgive the tardy response. .am currently on board the ship travelling to and from Sweden.

As regards the cricket angle.. yes. My book, which was published in 2005, of which you see a few snippets of..(put together by another club member for the website), was something I worked on for quite a few years, in conjunction with the then upcoming 150 year anniversary of the club. It is out of print now, but sold well. A copy can be found however, at Lords Cricket ground, in the MCC library. It has a forward by Alec Stewart, Surrey and England, whom I had the honour to meet in person at Chelsea FC (we both being ardent followers). I admit to being quietly very proud of that book..though have been reluctant to say too much about it..until you discovered it. Well done you clever researcher.☺

Best regards

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X