Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenter Court (Tenter Street Spitalfields)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenter Court (Tenter Street Spitalfields)

Ladies/Gents,

Has anyone ever heard of this Court/Street? Can you tell me where it used to be?

Google comes through: https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...classic&dg=brw

Edit: Actually, this result seems more relevant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterground There were apparently a number of Tenter streets.
    Last edited by Ginger; 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM. Reason: More Relevant Information
    - Ginger

Comment

Thanks Ginge, so it would seem that the area has long gone and been redeveloped.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
        Thanks Ginge, so it would seem that the area has long gone and been redeveloped.
        Given that the tenters' trade involved large tracts of open ground in the middle of the city, I'd expect nothing else.
        - Ginger

Comment

And, perhaps disappointingly, perhaps not, one of the businesses which seems to have sprung up on the Spitalfields tenters' grounds is a barbershop called "Jack the Clipper"... http://www.jacktheclipper.co.uk/
          - Ginger

Comment

Found it!!!! It backs onto White's Row, can't see Tenter Court, but Tenter Road is clearly visible.

But the site won't let me post the map, but trust me it's there lol.
            Last edited by PC2267; 03-05-2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Found it!!!! It backs onto White's Row, can't see Tenter Court, but Tenter Road is clearly visible.

But the site won't let me post the map, but trust me it's there lol.

Try this...........

Comment

I'd very much like a second opinion as to where Tenter's Court might have been. The way the 1871 census is written it appears to have been between 22 & 23 Tenter Street. If you have a look at the map link above (no numbers on the houses) the only court type area that I can see is right at the top of Tenter Street, near White's Row, there appears to be access to a small area via Butler Street as well?

Comment

I'd very much like a second opinion as to where Tenter's Court might have been. The way the 1871 census is written it appears to have been between 22 & 23 Tenter Street. If you have a look at the map link above (no numbers on the houses) the only court type area that I can see is right at the top of Tenter Street, near White's Row, there appears to be access to a small area via Butler Street as well?
                  Booth mentioned Tenter Court in his notebooks and gives a description and its location in relation to Tenter St.

Comment

Thanks again Debs, that's brilliant.

His handwriting is difficult to read, but from what I can make out it sounds like the classic Whitechapel scene!!!!

Comment

The description given by my old long retired boss in his as yet unpublished book (he did naming and numbering amongst many other things) says:-
                      "On the west side of Tenter Street (off Whites Street or
                      Whites Row) at the southern end."

I reckon this is it in the map below (1896). The cross denotes an opening in the wall/passage off of the street, as you can see no name is shown at all.

Comment

Zoomed out a bit so you can see White's Row.

Comment

This is a description of the enumeration district from 1871.

Just before turning into Whites Row the enumerator called at nos 1 and 2 Shepherd Place.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for this Yen & Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Booth's map makes interesting viewing. It appears that Tenter Street might not have been that bad? I wonder if there's any photographs on the place in existence?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X