What evidence would it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What evidence would it take?

To solve the case permanently and provide a majority consensus? (I realize there are plenty of people who have convinced themselves they know already and consider it a closed case)

This is posed to the general community of both experts/Ripperologists and those who've at least followed enough to differentiate between an iron clad case and the theory of the week which sounds promising. Naturally there's not going to be something like video footage of the Ripper in the act of mutilating his victims. This hypothetical evidence would be however well superior to the infamous shawl for example. Lets stipulate for a moment whatever this evidence (or amount) is unquestionably authentic.

So to reiterate, this is hypothetical untainted proof which has at least a reasonable possibility of still existing. What would it be that finally reveals the identity of Jack the Ripper?

I think that it is impossible.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I think that it is impossible.
      It's quite likely you are correct. I don't think it will be solved either but although i'm generally pessimistic i still hold on to some hope.

Just entertain me with an answer to this thread's question.

Comment

I thought I did a Consensus is, in my opinion impossible.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I thought I did a Consensus is, in my opinion impossible.
          Is consensus really that strong a word? I'm speaking only about those with a reasonable knowledge about the case who haven't made up their mind, not the general public or those who have various agendas.

There are thousands if not millions who believe the moon landing was faked.

Comment

If they found a knife hidden in a wall at a suspect's home that had DNA on it from a Ripper victim, I think that would do it for me and most beyond a reasonable doubt.

Do I expect that to happen? No. Even if a knife was found, it's very unlikely that we could get DNA from it or from a victim or a victim's family member to compare it to. It would most likely be Kelly's blood and we don't know who her family was and finding her for an exhumation would be questionable - not impossible though.
            Last edited by sdreid; 12-03-2014, 06:44 PM.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              If they found a knife hidden in a wall at a suspect's home that had DNA on it from a Ripper victim, I think that would do it for me and most beyond a reasonable doubt.

Do I expect that to happen? No. Even if a knife was found, it's very unlikely that we could get DNA from it or from a victim or a victim's family member to compare it to. It would most likely be Kelly's blood and we don't know who her family was and finding her for an exhumation would be questionable - not impossible though.
              I think DNA evidence is almost out of the question for such reasons as well but i like the example. Suspect's home + DNA + murder weapon.

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, if the missing police documents were to come to light [and could be authenticated as such] you might get somewhere, but I doubt it.
                G U T

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, if the missing police documents were to come to light [and could be authenticated as such] you might get somewhere, but I doubt it.
                  If it were official police documents I'd assume their authenticity would be easier to confirm (or expose as forgeries) than any "random" papers.

The cynical side of me thinks even if a massive bundle of police files came to be discovered it would create yet another labyrinth rather than providing a clearer picture.

Comment

So do I. You only have to look at the number of modern unsolved cases that have more physical evidence than the Whitechapel murders - the Zodiac Killer being an obvious example - to see the kind of insurmountable task facing a case that's over 125 years old and short on clues.

Exhuming the victims' bodies for forensic study might yield some unknown nuggets, but that's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                      So do I. You only have to look at the number of modern unsolved cases that have more physical evidence than the Whitechapel murders - the Zodiac Killer being an obvious example - to see the kind of insurmountable task facing a case that's over 125 years old and short on clues.

Exhuming the victims' bodies for forensic study might yield some unknown nuggets, but that's not going to happen.
                      My guess is that the Ripper's name would have been in those files somewhere. Whether or not he would actually stand out in any meaningful way given a modern viewing of all the documents is another matter altogether.

Comment

A time machine.
                        Last edited by AlanG; 12-06-2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Seriously though. Lost documentation and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

G'day Harry

What is it that you think exhumation might tell us?

Not after a fight just your thoughts.

I also think we'd have a heck of a time finding the victims to exhume them.
                            G U T

Comment

A written deathbed confession signed by a credible suspect. Otherwise....

Even if it were possible to time-travel we wouldn't be able to save the victims. You can't change history. It would be fascinating to go back, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X