Criminologist Prof David Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminologist Prof David Wilson

Has Criminologist Prof David Wilson given his opinions on JTR ? I can't seem to find anything -which is odd as he quite prominent media wise.
    What do members think of him ? i find him ok and likeable myself
    We're standing alone inside the night
    listen the wind is calling
    to the dangerzone beyond the light
    and suddenly we are falling
    But there ain't no stopping us now
    I don't know if I'll be back tonight
    It's just a machine inside of my head
    and now all the wheels are turning
    I'll think of the words we never said
    and deep in my heart it's burning
    But there is no stopping it now
    we're gonna make it somehow
    you wait tonight
    and we're waiting for the light
    Into the fire we will run
    into the sound of distant drums
    when you're walking alone in a dream
    on a highway to nowhere
    nowhere tonight

By coincidence I was told just today that he favours Kosminsky quite strongly.
    I greatly appreciate his insights and think he is quite astute. It surprised me that he favoured Kosminsky.

Comment

Is there any detailed info as to why he favours Kosminsky ?
      We're standing alone inside the night
      listen the wind is calling
      to the dangerzone beyond the light
      and suddenly we are falling
      But there ain't no stopping us now
      I don't know if I'll be back tonight
      It's just a machine inside of my head
      and now all the wheels are turning
      I'll think of the words we never said
      and deep in my heart it's burning
      But there is no stopping it now
      we're gonna make it somehow
      you wait tonight
      and we're waiting for the light
      Into the fire we will run
      into the sound of distant drums
      when you're walking alone in a dream
      on a highway to nowhere
      nowhere tonight

Comment

Not that I am aware of

Comment

Sometimes when people say they favor Kosminski they really mean someone like Kosminski and, to continue to put words in their mouth , they really mean someone like David Cohen; that is, a local unknown with mental issues and a violent streak. From what we know of Aaron Kosminski, I believe that he is actually a very weak suspect. Cohen is a strong one, but in the absence of a real name, he is just an unknown local which isn't particularly satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
            Sometimes when people say they favor Kosminski they really mean someone like Kosminski and, to continue to put words in their mouth , they really mean someone like David Cohen; that is, a local unknown with mental issues and a violent streak. From what we know of Aaron Kosminski, I believe that he is actually a very weak suspect. Cohen is a strong one, but in the absence of a real name, he is just an unknown local which isn't particularly satisfying.
            Why ?

Comment

Hi Barnaby,david Cohen is an excellent choice for jack the ripper how ever if the police at the time thought along these lines we would know I recommend you read Martin fidos book .
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

My take on Aaron Kosminski is that he had some pretty severe intellectual challenges and was non-violent. Which doesn't fit my profile for the Ripper. But that's just my opinion of course.

Comment

My take on Aaron Kosminski is that he had some pretty severe intellectual challenges and was non-violent. Which doesn't fit my profile for the Ripper. But that's just my opinion of course.
                  Was Ted Bundy violent when he wasn't murdering people?

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

I don't think an analogy between Ted Bundy and Aaron Kosminski is a good one. Bundy was a highly articulate manipulator; whatever Kosminski was, I don't think anyone would argue that he was that.

Comment

Jeffrey Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Ed Gein....how about them? How violent were they outside of the times they murdered?
                      huh?

Comment

observation

Hello Michael. How long were they under observation?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Lynn,

A long time in prison. Just like Kosminski in asylum, but I imagine they were all observed much more closely.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

It is theorised that Kosminsky committed his crimes during periodic episodes of schizophrenia, that eventually worsened until he was committed.
                            If this were the case the attacks would have been careless and unplanned. So he was remarkably lucky to get away each time.
                            It does not fit that sort of behaviour to suggest that he consciously inhibited his violent urges as he was worried about being arrested.
                            So why did they stop after Kelly? He wasn't finally locked up until February 1891.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                              Was Ted Bundy violent when he wasn't murdering people?

Mike
                              He was actually. He abused his girlfriends rather savagely, though not always with beatings.

But aside from the probably not the best comparison, you're right. Not all serial killers are violent when not killing. Thus the whole "he was quiet and shy and kept to himself" refrain common in interviews with neighbors of serial killers. Of course a lot of that is due to the fact that in modern life, people tend to only be on nodding terms with their neighbors... but that's a different discussion.

The test of character for lack of a better word when it comes to Kosminski isn't whether or not he was violent in his day to day life. It's whether or not he was violent with intent to harm when he was psychotic. People do get violent when they are psychotic. They ether hurt themselves or they hurt others. But most psychotics get violent when threatened, and are violent in an effort to escape. Tossing orderlies with syringes across the room doesn't make a person a killer. It makes them afraid. Injuring themselves trying to escape, hurting people trying to restrain them or block their way, this is violent behavior but not indicative of a desire to hurt people.

A psychotic who tries to tear out the throat of the guy sitting next to them in group therapy on the other hand, that's violent with intent to harm. That's the kind of psychotic who could go on a killing spree. And depending on the delusion that still could be an effort to protect him or herself, but it is not a reaction to an immediate physical threat.

If we know nothing else of people with psychosis, it is that they have poor impulse control. People with delusions can hang on to some control. Once full blown psychosis sets in, they barely have the control necessary to plan for the next six hours. And there are all kinds of neurological and neurochemical reasons for that, but basically, psychotics are in full fight or flight mode all the time.

So given that Kosminski was psychotic during his incarceration, given that he had lost the ability to foresee the consequences of his actions, and given that when a person is psychotic there is no filter between what they want to do and what they actually do... did he exhibit the signs of a killer? I don't think he did. I think he was violent when he was protecting himself. He attacked orderlies, but never other inmates or his doctors. And since orderlies are the ones who restrain patients and act as security guards, it's not out of line to assume that he attacked people who laid hands on him. He fought back. And that doesn't make him a killer.

It isn't about whether or not he violent when he was in control of his faculties. That doesn't tell us anything. As you say, many serial killers aren't violent when they aren't killing. It's whether or not he was trying to kill people when he wasn't in control of his faculties that is the benchmark. If he wasn't trying to kill people in the asylum, odds are he wasn't killing people when he was on the outside.
                              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X