Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random articles of potential interest

Hi all

I wanted to start a thread dedicated to those random pieces of apparent standalone data/newspaper articles etc.. that may or may not be of some relevance and/or interest to the Ripper case as a whole.

As an example to start proceedings, here is an article that I found from 1890.
    The article appears to come in the form of random; sometimes criptic stories written for a feature dedicated to anonymity for the writer.
    Similar in ilk to the "Toby" newspaper.

Here is the article...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sheffield_Weekly_Telegraph_01_November_1890_0005_Clip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.1 KB ID:	841601

The article describes a tailor who was a Tory MP for Hackney.
    The reference to Disraeli places the man referred to in the article as being MP for Hackney some time between 1868 - 1880, but possibly later.

The reason why I find this article interesting is because of the tone of the writer, the reference to mania and the reference to fair Emma Jane.

It made me wonder if this could be a subtle reference to Mary Jane Kelly?

"fair Enma"

Could the writer be hinting that the man who murdered Mary Kelly was a Tailor turned Tory MP who went up to London occasionally for business?

I say this, because the reference to "Alonzo the Brave and the Fair Imogene," comes from a famous poem written by Matthew Gregory Lewis aka "The Monk."

For those of you unfamiliar with Matthew Lewis's work; he was arguably the Godfather of Gothic Horror.
    His work was considered controversial and ahead of its time.

(Perhaps somewhat reminiscent of Mary Shelley, who had part of a Torso thrown into the garden of her estate.)

The fascinating part is that the poem of "Alonzo the Brave and the fair Imogene" is all about a woman (Imogene) who promises she will not cheat on her love (Alonzo) when he goes away to fight. But she breaks that vow, and is subsequently punished by Alonzo in the most brutal and horrific manner, leading to her death.

It's a dark and unnerving poem to say the least.

The article above was printed in November 1890

Is the writer of this article trying to say that the Tailor and Tory MP of Hackney (sometime around the time of Disraeli i.e. BEFORE 1881) was a man who didn't just recite the Matthew Lewis poem, but also lived it through a woman named "fair Emma Jane?"

Was "Emma Jane" MJK's real name?

Of course, the next step would be to find who served as a Tory MP for Hackney some time in the 1870's, possibly as late as 1881?
    Or perhaps even later during the autumn of 1888?

It may be of no significance whatsoever, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 10-11-2024, 12:57 PM.
    "Great minds, don't think alike"

William Guyer Hunter - Wikipedia
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Fair Emma was Mary Ann Kelly's mother.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Hi RD, the article says his mania was that he was MP for Hackney. This indicates that he was delusional and he was not a member of parliament at all. An interesting article all the same.

Regards, Gazza
        Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          Hi RD, the article says his mania was that he was MP for Hackney. This indicates that he was delusional and he was not a member of parliament at all. An interesting article all the same.

Regards, Gazza
          Ah yes, thankyou!

It seems he was indeed a Tory and a Tailor by trade; but that he only claimed to be "MP of Hackney."

That makes more sense now.

It's such a random and isolated article that it drew my attention because of the Fair Emma Jane comment.

Something different from the norm.
          "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
          X