No announcement yet.

Pamphlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the A5 size pamphlets i have a very few A4 ones. The best of these is Jack The Ripper And His Victims: Research Into The Victims Of The Infamous Victorian Murderer By Neal Shelden.

This was published in 1999 and is signed. Neal Shelden gives acknowledgments to Paul Begg, Nick Connell, Stewart Evans, Martin Fido, Mike James, Loretta Lay, Keith Skinner, Philip Sugden, Nick Warren and Camille Wolff.

At the back of the book he gives a call out to Casebook - Jack the Ripper. Stephen P. Ryder and John A. Piper.

A very professionally produced pamphlet with good, clear photographs.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

The next A4 is a facsimile of the Police Budget Edition Of Famous Crimes Past And Present edited by Harold Furniss. Originally priced at One Penny. This is number one, Jack the Ripper.

This edition isn’t Just about Jack the Ripper though. The chapters are:
      1. Jack the Ripper: The Story Of The Whitechapel Murders
      2. The Ways Of The Criminal
      3. Mrs Dyer The Baby Farmer
      4. Suspense
      5. Mary Callader
      6. Constable Cooke’s Crime
      Followed by a few very short articles and a final page of advertising.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The next A4 pamphlet that I have is just a photocopy of a pamphlet. It’s called Did Aleister Crowley Know The Identity Of Jack The Ripper by Frater Achad Osher 583 which was produced by Pangenitor Lodge Publications, Sun in Leo Moon In Pisces, July 25, 1994EV, Anno IVii. Originally privately published by Cornelius in December 1993ev.

You’ve probably heard of this pamphlet as the second part of it was written by Crowley and mentions Donstan.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          After the A5 size pamphlets i have a very few A4 ones. The best of these is Jack The Ripper And His Victims: Research Into The Victims Of The Infamous Victorian Murderer By Neal Shelden.

This was published in 1999 and is signed. Neal Shelden gives acknowledgments to Paul Begg, Nick Connell, Stewart Evans, Martin Fido, Mike James, Loretta Lay, Keith Skinner, Philip Sugden, Nick Warren and Camille Wolff.

At the back of the book he gives a call out to Casebook - Jack the Ripper. Stephen P. Ryder and John A. Piper.

A very professionally produced pamphlet with good, clear photographs.
          This is on sale on LL Books for £65!

I just noticed that on the inside page it says - next publication Severin Klosowski and his Victims. I never saw this publication. Does it exist or did Neal Shelden abandon it?
          Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-23-2024, 02:32 PM.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I also have this. It’s complete nonsense but it’s on sale here for £200! Mine doesn’t have the signed letter though.

ISBN: 9780952458616 - signed by author - First edition. - Softcover / Paperback - Privately Printed D & P Cory (Norwich) - 1994 - Condition: Very Good - Dossier Format. Limited Edn. to 100 copies. Includes SIGNED letter. A true account of events surrounding and following the crimes committed in 1888 in Whitechapel and laid at the door of 'Jack the Ripper'. Contents include sections on victims and suspects, both with questions asked and answer space, plus the 'Lost' Affidavit of James Avery. The 3 colour photocopies of original photographs are in the main of Masonic interest. Illus. Facsimiles + Map. 93pp. Also includes some blank pages for reader's personal remarks and formulation of own conclusion. 4to Dossier in fold over file style. Vellum-white linen look embossed card with red lettered applied title. With loosely inserted vellum-white bookmark with red eye print and red ribbon tie, with same red eye print to fr. cover. Includes loosely inserted 2-page A4 typed letter SIGNED BY PATRICIA CORY elaborating in more detail on the contents of the dossier. With previous owner's personal b/plate inside fr. cover, v. sl. sunned top edge and light foxing to lower part of back cover o/w Vg. Extremely scarce. - AN EYE TO THE FUTURE The Whitechapel Murders

A good short review here from Stewart Evans

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Annie Chapman Jack The Ripper Victim: A Short Biography by Neal Sheldon is the last of my A5 pamphlets and the most significant of them all. This pamphlet (signed by Neal Sheldon) was the first appearance of the photograph of Annie and her husband taken in happier times around 19 years before her death. This is the only pamphlet that i can actually remember buying after I’d heard of the discovery of the photograph.

It’s 44 pages long and came out in 2001.
              On sale at Loretta Lay books for £50!
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The next A4 pamphlet that I have is just a photocopy of a pamphlet. It’s called Did Aleister Crowley Know The Identity Of Jack The Ripper by Frater Achad Osher 583 which was produced by Pangenitor Lodge Publications, Sun in Leo Moon In Pisces, July 25, 1994EV, Anno IVii. Originally privately published by Cornelius in December 1993ev.

You’ve probably heard of this pamphlet as the second part of it was written by Crowley and mentions Donstan.
                An original of this one is on sale on LL books for £50!
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Jack The Ripper In A Seaside Town by Martin Easdown and Linda Sage was published by Marlinova, Seabrook, Hythe, Kent in 2002. My pamphlet is 42 of a hundred and is signed by the authors. The inside cover lists 9 books previously written by the two authors.

The pamphlet is 72 pages long with five chapters.
                  1. A respectable interest in Jack the Ripper
                  2. A full list of the Jack the Ripper supposed victims - both definite and doubtful
                  3. The crime scenes as seen by both the local Folkestone newspapers of the time - the Folkestone Chronicle and Folkestone Express.
                  4. The Folkestone Jack the Ripper postcard.
                  5. Forty Jack the Ripper suspects - both not guilty and not proven.

The postcard in question was dated 11th November 1888 and was address to Mrs McCarthy No 28 Dorset Street, London, East End. It reads:

From Jack (‘Sheridan’ deleted)
                  The Ripper
                  Folkestone
                  Nov 11 1888

Dear Boss I am getting lively on the move baint i made a good job last time getting better each time a good joke i played on them three ladies one (‘death’ smudged out) Died two frighened (sic) Next time a woman and her Daughter ta ta.

Dear Boss (drawing of a man with a knife or axe over a victim followed by a P and another man with a knife. In the corner is a cage with a figure inside).”

On sale at LL Books for £25!
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The next A4 example couldn’t and shouldn’t really be described as a pamphlet because it’s far too substantial but I’ll still add it. It’s The Jack The Ripper Whitechapel Murders: New Research and a Rewrite By Andy & Sue Parlour.

Just below the title it says “This revised & updated version is based on the 1997 edition of our book. This 2016 edition includes new research by Andy & Sue Parlour.”

It’s comb bound, 166 pages long and produced by Ten Bells Publishing. Whether you go with the authors theories and research or not (it has all of the ingredients…Royalty, Gull, Freemason’s, Sickert, Oral traditions etc) they clearly did lots of research and this certainly isn’t in the same category as some of the conspiracy/Freemason/Astrology bilge that gets churned out in heaps these days. I haven’t read-read this so I can’t comment on the details but I seem to recall J.K. Stephen featuring heavily (probably as the ripper) This is worth having though imo.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Next is another A4 comb-bound one from Ten Bells Publishing (Andy & Sue Parlour). It’s called Inspector Walter Dew C.I.D and the Jack the Ripper Whitechapel Murders of 1888.

Nothing to comment on here. This is another printing of the ‘ripper’ chapter of Dew’s memoirs.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Next is another comb-bound A4 on called Jack The Ripper: A Collectors Guide To The Many Books Published by Ross Strachan. This was from 1996.

I’d imagine that a few will remember Ross. He was once on TV I seem to recall..the programme may have been called A Collector’s Lot? This publication lists all of the ripper books both fiction and non-fiction with estimated values. I haven’t opened my copy for years but when I did I saw that it highlighted the books that I owned (and still do)

Interesting to see him valuing a William Stewart at £150+ 28 years ago. I saw one on sale for £2000 a while ago. I don’t have one but I have a friend who does so I’ve seen one.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Then we have a quality reproduction titled Week End Novels: The Whitechapel Mystery: The Story of a Nameless Terror.

This was a serialised fictional story the first of which came out on Nov 1st 1930, the second on Nov 8th 1930 etc. I don’t know who wrote the story or who produced the reprint but it’s an authentic copy (if that makes sense?) complete with advertisements and illustrations. Strangely though, the characters in the illustrations certainly look more 1930’s than Victorian.

There aims as an advertisement section at the back which bring back memories. Crime In Store bookshop Covent Garden..now gone. People and companies that I regularly bought books from like Clifford Elmer Books, Leslie H. Bolland (who I got most of my JFK assassination books from) Ripperologist and Ripperana both have advertisements.

Also there’s an advertisement for Adam Wood’s reproduction of Carl Muusmann’s 1908 book Hvem Var Jack the Ripper for £20 which I bought.

Also 4 pamphlets that I didn’t get for some reason. Andy Ayliffe produced Whitechapel Murders: Mysteries of the East End and Jack the Ripper: Mr. Boyer’s Discovery. Then there are Echoes Of The Ripper which brings together stuff from Woodhall, O’Donnell and Ingleby Oddie. Finally Mrs Maybrick’s Case by L. Forbes Winslow.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Finally there’s something that was know as the Wolf Pack (there is a Wolf logo attributed to Vicky Squires). Its author was Roy Gregory and the series editor was Pauline Hornsby.

It came in a plastic wallet and contained loose sheets with illustrations. I think this is aimed at students but there is some decent stuff inside and not all directly ripper related. It explains who ‘mudlarks’ were for example and Costermongers.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                            X