Norfolk Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk Revelation

So, I was in Norfolk, Virginia last summer, tracking down some leads on a certain cotton merchant. I asked quite a few questions, and am sure that I was followed back to my hotel by someone. I knew I shouldn't have walked.

BUT, this did not spook me, and I returned to ask a few more questions the very next day.

Much to my surprise, as I walked through the alley on the way back to my hotel, I spied some writing on one of the brick walls, in chalk. I shall try to recreate it, as someone quickly erased it while I ran to get my camera.

This is it, to the best of my recollection:

"Jacks name is known to some,

These people are discreet, but,

The secret lies with Elvis,

Elvis holds the secret."

This rattled me, until I spied a car wash just across the street, and working at the car wash, I found him: Elvis is alive, and working at the car wash.

To make a long story short, I now know who JTR was.

More on this:

Now, I'll state for the record, I wish for no fame here. I'm just another Ripperologist.

One hopes, when he makes a breakthrough, that vanity will NOT affect him/her. Although I may be seen as perhaps, the greatest detective here, I would say that despite eclipsing other posters such as a Covell, Graham, or a Marple, this has NOT gone to my head, and others need not worry about my ' size in hats.'

With this in mind, I will relate other details of my historic discovery. As a matter of respect, and at his request, I did not photograph Elvis (the car wash has very strict rules, I believe that they do NOT wish to offer customer King discounts).

Elvis was kind enough to provide me with a promotional image. He still performs, but only on weekends, and @ the local Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Below is his image, circa 2012:

Elvis, like any trusted with secret knowledge, is careful: I had to prove to him that 'I wasn't nothin but a hound dog.'

In the end, I passed his 'riddle' test.

Elvis, to me: "Have you ever seen 'The Shining?'

Me: 'Only AFTER a car wash.'

This was, of course, the correct response.

I cannot divulge the identity of JTR, as I was sworn to the promise of 'not being cruel.'

More on this as my investigation proceeds.
    Last edited by BTCG; 04-17-2014, 08:24 AM. Reason: re-release

Comment

Surely it's 'Don't Be Cruel'.
      This exposes an obvious fraud.
      Anyway he works in the Chip Shop.

Comment

No isn't it a hot dog stand?
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I thought John Lennon was the Chip Shop.

Have got it wrong?
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Elvis says that he hopes to work his way up to the job of cashier @ the car wash.

Comment

Listen BTCG

You've been told it ain't Elvis he works in the fast food industry.
              G U T

Comment

Don't be jealous because of my great detective work.

Comment

BTW: what's a 'chip' shop? To you mean 'body' shop?

Comment

A Chip shop is where they make chips, ie fish and chips.
                    G U T

Comment

The potatoes, as is my understanding, are called 'crisps.'

Comment

Nope.

Crisps are a potato cut thinly fried and the bagged up and eaten cold, called chips in some parts of the world.

Chips are what some might call french fries, french fries are normally cut thin and chips cut thicker.

The shop that sells fish and chips is called a fish and chip shop.
                        G U T

Comment

But of course it depends where in the world you are.

I have never heard the chips sold with fish called "crisps". But maybe they are somewhere.

If there is one thing I know about t is fish and chips.
                          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            But of course it depends where in the world you are.

I have never heard the chips sold with fish called "crisps". But maybe they are somewhere.

If there is one thing I know about t is fish and chips.
                            The Brit I worked with called FF's 'crisps.'

You're free, of course, to track him down to see if you can convince him to change.

Comment

Perhaps you need to explain what you mean by French Fries, we may be talking at cross-purposes.

Are you in USA?
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X