Sugden's Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugden's Book

I'm re-re-reading The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Sugden; I'm very familiar with this book, but I'm wondering if there's anything in it that's wrong, questionable, not enough detail etc. I've read other books but I've just revived my interest in the case and need to refresh.
    O have you seen the devle
    with his mikerscope and scalpul
    a lookin at a Kidney
    With a slide cocked up.

Sadly, it's starting to date.
    Particularly the suspects section.
    And there is new research on some of the victims since The author died .

It's still a very good book.

Comment

Except for his conclusion about Kosminski's guilt being geriatric self-deception or wishful thinking on Anderson's part (which is personal opinion).

Comment

It's still one of a handful of books I'd consider "essential reading", even if a lot of progress has (inevitably) been made since... albeit in terms of "micro" detail. At a "macro" level, Sugden remains one of the best histories of the case there has ever been.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

It would be good if someone could take the time to write a new ‘Sugden.’ A detailed, accurate and unbiased overview of the entire case. It would be a mammoth undertaking though and with no new theory or new suspect as a selling point.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post
            I'm re-re-reading The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Sugden; I'm very familiar with this book, but I'm wondering if there's anything in it that's wrong, questionable, not enough detail etc. I've read other books but I've just revived my interest in the case and need to refresh.
            Hi Tani,

No book is perfect of course (including Sugden) but it’s hard to fault this one as it was a genuine effort to provide an accurate overview of the entire case, with no theory or suspect to defend. It’s hard to imagine anyone with an interest in the case who doesn’t own it. As Sam said, one of the absolute essentials. I’d add The Sourcebook to that list too.

Nearly forgot…..and Inside Bucks Row too. By some bloke called Blomer.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Great great book

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hi Tani,

No book is perfect of course (including Sugden) but it’s hard to fault this one as it was a genuine effort to provide an accurate overview of the entire case, with no theory or suspect to defend. It’s hard to imagine anyone with an interest in the case who doesn’t own it. As Sam said, one of the absolute essentials. I’d add The Sourcebook to that list too.

Nearly forgot…..and Inside Bucks Row too. By some bloke called Blomer.
                Will need to pick up the Bucks Row book.

Yup, I have the Sourcebook too!
                Last edited by Tani; 04-21-2024, 11:04 AM.
                O have you seen the devle
                with his mikerscope and scalpul
                a lookin at a Kidney
                With a slide cocked up.

Comment

"...The Facts" by Paul Begg.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                    "...The Facts" by Paul Begg.
                    Hi Scott,

I thought of that book when Herlock mentioned that it would be good if someone would write a new ‘Sugden.’ I think of The Facts as being the most recent comprehensive survey of the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

...No book is perfect of course (including Sugden) but it’s hard to fault this one as it was a genuine effort to provide an accurate overview of the entire case, with no theory or suspect to defend. It’s hard to imagine anyone with an interest in the case who doesn’t own it. As Sam said, one of the absolute essentials. I’d add The Sourcebook to that list too.
                      Sugden's book, as great as it still is, is limited by the fact all his press research was manual. He didn't have access to all the computerized newspaper accounts that we have today. Which means a few of his conclusions suffered from limited input.
                      Sadly, as Phil has passed on, his work will not be updated, but a book of that nature, one that essentially takes the reader through the case, step by step, is in my opinion essential for the new Jack the Ripper student, and some of the more mature crowd who need the occasional memory jogger

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        ...and some of the more mature crowd who need the occasional memory jogger
                        Boy, do I need that. You could write that book, Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

Boy, do I need that. You could write that book, Jon.
                          I've tried more than once, I keep forgetting where I put my notes.....
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I've tried more than once, I keep forgetting where I put my notes.....
                            On top of the fridge, next to your secret stash of custard creams..

Just as an aside. When was Lechmere first referred to as Cross? Or was Cross mentioned first and then Lechmere came along some years later? (I re-reading Sugden's book as well...)

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

On top of the fridge, next to your secret stash of custard creams..

Just as an aside. When was Lechmere first referred to as Cross? Or was Cross mentioned first and then Lechmere came along some years later? (I re-reading Sugden's book as well...)
                              Hi Geddy,

I believe that you mean as far as our knowledge of the case is concerned, and if so, he gave the name of Cross at the deposition, so that's what we knew him as until I guess about 25 years ago.

If you mean as far as what he was called in life, he was born as Lechmere, and started to be called Cross when his mother re-married, this time to a man named Cross.

Comment

Working...
                              X