Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They All Love Jack- what did you think of this book?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Fantomas View Post
    'Withnail and I' is a masterpiece of a film that I love, made of disjointed sketch-like scenes and characters. 'TALJ' has an enjoyably-witty-old-soak tone but isn't masterpiece material and is far from it - but I enjoyed it - I just didn't buy any of the arguments. Like Cornwell's ludicrous assassinat de personnage on Sickert - which I enjoy reading - it is worth owning as a stylistic piece of literary folly - nay art - but serious ripperology, it ain't.
    This sums up my views on TALJ perfectly too.

    I thought it was a great read and I loved the passionate, angry tone / writing style.

    I don't agree with Bruce's conclusions, but it's a big, enjoyable tome.

    Despite me not buying the M Maybrick as ripper theory it's one of my favourites.

    I love Withnail and I, and as a rule of thumb always derive pleasure from anything that slags off the freemasons.

    They are weird and don't allow women!

    I was always going to be well disposed to this book!
    Last edited by Ms Diddles; 04-21-2024, 12:48 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
      That said, I always derive pleasure from anything that slags off the freemasons.

      They are weird and don't allow women!
      Without scratching the surface the Freemason angle is a canny one. Not necessarily in connection with the Royal Family of course. Ritualistic killings, the word JUWES and the ritual of Master Mason, Hiram Abif was slain by three ruffians collectively termed The Juwes. I mean if anyone had the power to cover something up it would be that lot in Victorian times.

      Funnily enough my good lady and I visited the local lodge for an open day and apparently women are allowed under certain conditions. IIRC it's if there are at least one man present or something. The other thing he pointed out, the Freemason, was that the 'Freemasons are not a secret society, but rather a society with secrets.'

      The Freemasons being involved is a great get out clause for a lot of issues with Ripperology. Things being covered up, evidence disappearing, certain people not being allowed to tell their story. It's convenient and of course if you throw in scandal of a high level it makes for good telly... do I believe it no, would I like it to be true.. kind of

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

        Without scratching the surface the Freemason angle is a canny one. Not necessarily in connection with the Royal Family of course. Ritualistic killings, the word JUWES and the ritual of Master Mason, Hiram Abif was slain by three ruffians collectively termed The Juwes. I mean if anyone had the power to cover something up it would be that lot in Victorian times.

        Funnily enough my good lady and I visited the local lodge for an open day and apparently women are allowed under certain conditions. IIRC it's if there are at least one man present or something. The other thing he pointed out, the Freemason, was that the 'Freemasons are not a secret society, but rather a society with secrets.'

        The Freemasons being involved is a great get out clause for a lot of issues with Ripperology. Things being covered up, evidence disappearing, certain people not being allowed to tell their story. It's convenient and of course if you throw in scandal of a high level it makes for good telly... do I believe it no, would I like it to be true.. kind of
        I agree that whilst incredibly far-fetched, the masonic theories do have a certain romantic mystique.

        They make for a great story, and as you state above provide an excellent "explanation " for some of the mysteries of ripperology.

        I seem to recall it was disputed that the three ruffians were referred to as the Juwes in masonic parlance though.

        I'd thought that was pretty much refuted now, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

        Interesting to hear they are now deigning to allow women in "in certain circumstances " when chaperoned by a man.

        How magnanimous of 'em.

        Perhaps the bloke is required to make sure we don't plunder the ceremonial booze or or get into the dressing up box and start trying on their funny robes?!

        Strange!



        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

          Perhaps the bloke is required to make sure we don't plunder the ceremonial booze or or get into the dressing up box and start trying on their funny robes?!
          Must admit it's the long gloves that took my fancy

          Comment


          • #20
            Yeah I have to say I rather enjoyed the book when I read it a few years back. Completely bonkers but a good read.
            Best wishes,

            Tristan

            Comment


            • #21
              Hi,
              Great read, well the first half anyway.
              The chapter regarding the "Double Event" is a fantastic read .

              Comment

              Working...
              X