Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Brisbane and The New York Sun

Hello!

I am writing my thesis on the way that the newspaper industry essentially transformed the way that Americans looked at murder. Specifically focusing on why people cared so much, or at least why newspapers knew that a story like "Jack the Ripper" would sell, to the point where 125 years later he is considered the embodiment of 19th century evil.

I read in a book about Yellow Journalism that Arthur Brisbane worked for Charles Dana in the London Office of the New York Sun during the Whitechapel Killings and that the correspondence he sent back to the states was so stomach wrenching that it may have actually made people lose their lunch.

I wanted to know if anyone had any idea where I could look to find some of these correspondence. I have checked the Library of Congress and the National Archives but didn't really have any good leads.

P.S. I am new to this site and apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place. Cheers!

Sorry for the lateness of this reply. I only just saw the thread and your request.

In New York City I would start with the 42nd Street Library collections of letters and documents to see if they have anything from either Dana or Brisbane. Likewise the New York Historical Society. Dana's newspaper eventually (through two merges) fell into the "World Journal Tribune" which folded after about a year of publcation - possibly as the World was part of the Pulitzer newspaper empire they may have some of Dana's papers. Similarly, Brisbane became editor and chief for William Randolph Hearst, so the Hearst media chain might have some of his papers.

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
    X