Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parcel size

Hello Bridewell,

I agree with you that the man was most probably an innocent bystander. I was looking ar Booth's map recently and was surprised to see just how many adequately and well-off people lived almost cheek by jowl with the worst slum streets, so that not everyone seen on the streets at night was a potential murderer.

Hello Lynn,

If you remember it being eighteen inches, I won't argue with you. Would the reason for you measuring it be that this discussion has come up before? And I suppose you are completely sure that it wasn't trimmed down a little to neaten it?

Still think that P.C. Smith wouldn't have mistaken a roll of newspapers for a parcel, though.

Best wishes,
    Gwyneth/C4
    Last edited by curious4; 02-16-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

inspiration

Hello Gwyneth. Thanks.

It was Tom inspired me.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

High standards

Hello Lynn,

I'm sure Tom upholds a high standard. So time to put the measuring tape away.

Hutchinson's man also carried a parcel, it seems - a small one. Really can't see Jack being quite so blatant, although you never know.

Best wishes,
        Gwyneth

Comment

right

Hello Gwyneth. Thanks.

Agreed. Don't think ANY parcel was a knife repository.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Gwyneth. Thanks.

Agreed. Don't think ANY parcel was a knife repository.

Cheers.
            LC
            Indeed, if it was something that would fit in a coat pocket, like a knife, then he would have no need to carry it.
            Possibly a book, the Torah, or something of that nature.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              Indeed, if it was something that would fit in a coat pocket, like a knife, then he would have no need to carry it.
              Possibly a book, the Torah, or something of that nature.
              Hello Wickerman,

I have wonndered if it could have been one of those clasp knives with a locking mechanism, which could be placed in a boot.

Best wishes,
              C4

Comment

Fish supper

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                If the man seen by Smith was an innocent bystander it's of academic interest what he was carrying so, starting with the truly massive (and unjustified) assumption that he was the murderer I did some research a couple of years ago to determine what kind of knife would be of the dimensions described if wrapped in newspaper. This is such an item, a draw knife as used by carpenters and (particularly) coopers:-[ATTACH]15853[/ATTACH]

The example I own (similar to this but older and with fixed handles) measures 17½" by 5½" unwrapped. Having said that, I think the most likely explanation is that Smith's man was carrying a fish supper because I think Smith would have known and recognised the Arbeter Fraint.

Interesting idea for a thread btw.
                Hello Bridewell,

Talking of fish suppers (I wish!), I wondered whether you'd seen this: http://telescoper.wordpress.com/2010...ish-and-chips/

Doesn't mention the newspaper wrapping, though I expect they used whatever was handy!

Best wishes,
                C4

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  I think Tom measured his Arbeter Fraint's to 18"--but I may be mistaken.

Wow! I have a lot more respect for Tom now.

c.d.
                  What?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                  X