What Did Whitechapel Smell like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Did Whitechapel Smell like?

Not too pleasant I'm guessing but I was just wondering what were the particular smells that would predominate in the Whitechapel area in autumn 1888?

Originally posted by Slimsid2000 View Post
    Not too pleasant I'm guessing but I was just wondering what were the particular smells that would predominate in the Whitechapel area in autumn 1888?
    Hi Slimsid,

I'd say welcome to the boards, but you've been in hibernation for some time, so welcome back, I think you'll find the landscape of Ripperology had changed.......not at all since your last visit!

Smells you say? What an idiosyncratic muse. I guess literally, horse effluent and whatever noxious odours local businesses gave off, philosophically, the stench of despair, poverty and subjugation. The more literal smells can be washed away, the more philosophical can take longer to wash off.

Tanners, butchers, fishmongers, night soil collections, poor sanitation, tallow makers and such gave off a stink, and individuals didn't smell like roses, so in a word, I'd say "earthy".
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

"horse effluent"????

Well ain't we fancy! Here in the good ole US of A we just call it horse ****.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        "horse effluent"????

Well ain't we fancy! Here in the good ole US of A we just call it horse ****.

c.d.
        CD, your "earthy" tones are understood. Some of us try to maintain a modicum of seriousness. Admittedly, my first thought was horse ****, but some of us extoll virtue and transcend the base values of gutter humour. I mean admittedly, it stunk of horse ****. But we can rise above such base terminology, and say "horse effluent". Sounds nicer, but smells the same. Don't confuse it with "Bullshit", cause that stinks worse but is less subject to positive language.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Working...
        X