Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Police Pay Informants for Information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Police Pay Informants for Information?

I know that police nowadays pay informants for information as a regular practice but I have never heard of it being done in the Ripper case. Was it done and just not talked about or was it somehow not considered ethical? Can anybody shed any light on this?

c.d.

Informants

I am sure they did pay informants in some way.

My Great uncle Henry Cox (plain clothes) mentioned in his memoires that he had one in Fieldgate street, he did mention the number but without digging it out I cant remember offhand... eighty something I think. When I checked it, it was a place of multiple occupancy.

I cant imagine that informants would give info for nothing. There would have to be something in it for them !

Pat..................................

Comment

Yes, it's a fact that people were paid as informants. They were called 'noses'. Abberline used them liberally and there's extant reports showing him requesting funds from his superiors for this purpose.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Yes, it's a fact that people were paid as informants. They were called 'noses'. Abberline used them liberally and there's extant reports showing him requesting funds from his superiors for this purpose.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        I've read many accounts of the police using 'noses', but never any mention of the police paying them in cash.
        Remuneration may take different forms.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. Very interesting. It would seem that even the "noses" couldn't shed light on Jack's identity.

Does anyone know of incidences when prostitutes were paid for information?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Thanks everyone for your responses. Very interesting. It would seem that even the "noses" couldn't shed light on Jack's identity.

Does anyone know of incidences when prostitutes were paid for information?

c.d.
            Yes, these would have been among the 'noses'. Prostitutes as well as brothel owners.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Sir Ed

Hello CD. Not only the police, but the Spymaster General, Sir Ed Jenkinson, employed EXACTLY bar maids, etc., for his information gathering network.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

And prostitutes paid the police as well.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Payment

I suppose another way of payment would be to look the other way sometimes.

So long as the police knew what they were not looking at !

Pat......................................

Comment

the take

Hello Tom. Funny you should mention that.

Sir Ed, in one of his rants, accused almost all the Met of being on the take. They never got on too well with one another.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Working...
                    X