All through the night?..Or..Jack the Imsomniac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All through the night?..Or..Jack the Imsomniac

Just a thought.....Even if we look at the bare minimum of accepted victims,(Nichols,Chapman and Eddowes), it means our chap's activities varied from 0130-ish to 0530-ish.....Did he roam the streets all night?....Which opens up a lot of other thoughts about employment/domestic situation....

An excellent point Steve. Makes it hard to subscribe to any "on his way to work" theories - and I doubt this was JtR's idea of a coffee break....
    Managing Editor
    Casebook Wiki

Comment

Good point Steve. Nichols and Chapman possibly suggestive of Mon. to Fri. employment do you think?. And could explain the earlier timing of Stride and possibly explain a lack of resolve that lead to the double event.

MrB
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

On a related note - would he risk showing up to work covered in blood?

Comment

If he's walking the streets at that time he might be trying to avoid something very nasty and unpleasant at home his relationship with his wife/partner might be collapsing .
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi Steve

Have you considered weekends and Bank Holidays (or even local holidays) ?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              Hi Steve

Have you considered weekends and Bank Holidays (or even local holidays) ?

All the best

Dave
              I'm not sure how much difference weekends, (or at least saturdays) make in employment terms...Let's look a bit deeper
              Nichols:Friday; people on way to work..and indeed, working all night
              Chapman:Saturday: people on way to work
              Eddowes:Sunday early hours; people coming BACK from work..Berners st is full of them!
              I think....It's POSSIBLE he hunts on days off..but we can't assume Saturdays weren't normal working days(and sundays if Jewish).
              It's just the variation is too much....You can't be on your way to/from work at ALL the times and locations, and the more victims you include,the harder it gets!....Should point out this isn't aimed at any theory or suspect especially tho it may look like it......
              Last edited by Steve S; 12-06-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                Nichols:Friday; people on way to work..and indeed, working all night
                Chapman:Saturday: people on way to work
                Eddowes:Sunday early hours; people coming BACK from work..Berners st is full of them!
                I think it makes the candidacies of Hutch and Charles Cross problematic. The former would have had faced being locked out - or locked in. And unless Cross had staggered working hours I don't see how this schedule works for him.
                Managing Editor
                Casebook Wiki

Comment

JTR Insomniac

Possibly Jack was involved in criminal activity (burglary, for example) during the night and early morning hours and thus had no "day gig" or "straight job". Perhaps in the course of "casing" or committing other crimes, he came across opportunity to commit murder. Perhaps he was a part of the East End late-night culture and didn't attract attention or perhaps was furtive enough not to be noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by D.B.Wagstaff View Post
                    Possibly Jack was involved in criminal activity (burglary, for example) during the night and early morning hours and thus had no "day gig" or "straight job". Perhaps in the course of "casing" or committing other crimes, he came across opportunity to commit murder. Perhaps he was a part of the East End late-night culture and didn't attract attention or perhaps was furtive enough not to be noticed.
                    That is more feasable than most ideas.....I think any suspect that wasn't free 2400-0600 Thursday night-Sunday morning is....conjectural

Comment

We can only judge the times from his successes, we have no account of his failures.
                      Which means we cannot say for certain what his time window was for Hunting on the streets, nor which days of the week/month he chose to hunt.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That's a fair point Jon...we don't know how many stalks, (if that's what they were), ended up with zilch...in fact we're only assuming that there was a killer stalking women who he might've thought were prostitutes...his real motivation (if any) might've been completely different for all we know...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Which, (not being a statistician) I think reinforces my point..If the "core hours" are 2400-0600,further cases,like further victims, whether successful or not, can only reinforce or extend them?..On the days of the week,I hadn't really thought about that initially..had always thought the "worked Mon-Fri" thing was used to support the idea of a middle-class Ripper..
                          On the idea of failures...I do wonder...IF he had been stalking all night,would it really take til gone 0500 to find a suitable victim(Chapman)?....But that is in the realm of motivation as much as anything else...........

Comment

With the exception of Eddowes, we cannot rule out the possibility that the killer did not spend a substantial amount of time with his victims prior to murdering them. If Chapman truly was killed at 5:30 AM, perhaps this does not indicate a late hunting time, perhaps it indicates that the killer and Chapman got along well and were chatty.

This is perhaps inconsistent with a working-class killer, but, remember, the killer knew he would be able to take the money back after ripping, so we don't know what kind of sums he would have offered them for this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                              With the exception of Eddowes, we cannot rule out the possibility that the killer did not spend a substantial amount of time with his victims prior to murdering them. If Chapman truly was killed at 5:30 AM, perhaps this does not indicate a late hunting time, perhaps it indicates that the killer and Chapman got along well and were chatty.

This is perhaps inconsistent with a working-class killer, but, remember, the killer knew he would be able to take the money back after ripping, so we don't know what kind of sums he would have offered them for this time.
                              Whether stalking or chatting, it still means he's free overnight to do it..........

Comment

Working...
                              X