Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bachert's lodger story and the Lusk kidney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachert's lodger story and the Lusk kidney?

I'm looking for some background information on the Bachert lodger story if anyone can help, and also some information on the landlady's own later story, I'm having trouble sorting it out at the moment.

The landlady Bachert was refering to in his story was supposedly tracked down by a representative from Lloyds Weekly and gave her own revised account of Bachert's story, correcting some misinformation he had apparently presented to the press. This story was reproduced in the Cardiff Western Mail, which is where I read it, but it's hard to tell who said what and to who!

Part of the story the landlady corrects, (originally told by Bachert?) was that she had not seen her lodger, who she calls the 'Captain', addressing a parcel to be sent to George Lusk or putting anything inside a box, although she had seen the lodger with some frozen kidneys and he had given her one of them to eat. She also denies that she had seen the lodger writing letters addressed to the Central News Agency. She mentions that the lodger was living in a Model Dwelling House in the Aldgate area, and it seems she was more of a cleaner than a landlady and mentions his blood stained clothing. The lodger she describes also walked with a slight drag to his right leg and this is something that I have seen crop up before in other accounts of a suspect.
    Does anyone have the full version of Bachert's story? Or can give me any further details on either tale?
    Thanks

Hi Debs

Some of the things you mention crop up in Dave's article :

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert,
      Dave has the full version of Bachert's story and that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Comment

Debra
        The full version, which much additional detail can be found at

Comment

Thanks Chris, That's great!

Debs

Comment

This New Zealand paper didn't like Backert.

West Coast Times 25th August 1891
            Attached Files

Comment

Great find, Robert
              Very interesting and many thanks for posting
              Chris

Comment

Good find Robert, seems like they sort of summed up what a lot of us suspect about Bachert.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                  She mentions that the lodger was living in a Model Dwelling House in the Aldgate area, and it seems she was more of a cleaner than a landlady and mentions his blood stained clothing. The lodger she describes also walked with a slight drag to his right leg and this is something that I have seen crop up before in other accounts of a suspect.
                  Blood stained clothes and a leg injury, sounds like Robert D'Onston Stephenson!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X