Jack The Ripper's face??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Ripper's face??

Jack the Ripper's face has finally been unmasked -- or so it appears -- after staying under wraps for more than a century, this according to a newly discovered artifact.

An interesting article. Thanks, Magoo and welcome to the boards.

A couple of points -- It states that he was gifted the cane but there is no mention of what the likeness was based on or if was simply supposed to represent the Ripper. It also states that Abberline was booted from the case which I have never heard before.

c.d.

Comment

I think it’s the face of Abberline. If you look closely you can see the outline of a moustache but it’s the same colour as a the skin.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        I think it’s the face of Abberline. If you look closely you can see the outline of a moustache but it’s the same colour as a the skin.
        Yeah, I had that thought as well. Even if by some miracle it is actually the Ripper there is simply not enough detail to make an identification.

c.d.
        Last edited by c.d.; 12-30-2022, 01:49 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Jesus wept, where do these stories come from? If it's genuinely Abberlines cane, that alone is interesting in its own right, but the face of Jack The Ripper? Pull the other one, it's got bells on! Literally just making **** up for the sake of it. Like any copper at any level is going to walk around with a permanent reminder of what was considered an almighty failure. And a conversation starter to boot, to so he can regale strangers with his tale of not catching a notorious murderer.

It would be interesting to know the provenance of the cane all the same. It's got somebody's mush on it, I wonder what inspired it's creation?
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

To quote Dan Norder from 2004:

"The face was actually of the mad monk character in The Curse Upon Mitre Square, the penny dreadful sort of thing sold near the scene of Eddowes' death to curious crowds shortly afterwards. The hawkster sold these walking sticks too, so I imagine quite a few people had them, but most are probably long gone by now."
            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

That appears to be mystery solved then. Please delete my suggestion about it possibly being the face of Abberline.

Although…..would they have really presented him with a cheapo stick that could be bought from a street vendor?
              Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 12-30-2022, 10:09 AM.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I've long held the belief this is the face of Jack the Ripper.

The right eye appears to be a kind of squint perhaps "strabismus​".

Find out what causes a squint and how it's treated. Also, read about the signs to look for in your child and when to see a doctor.

Bowyer claimed to see a man at Miller's Court, near or at the time of the murder, with strange or odd eyes. I think I have noted other examples of similar sightings (working from memory).

As there is known to be a genetic connection to the causes of these type of squints, there is a good chance of relatives, descendants also having the condition.

If this is JTR, then Abberline and others knew of the identify of JTR at least by 1892 when he was presented with the cane in question.

A picture of the cane appears in the 2010 version of the A-Z.
                Last edited by mpriestnall; 12-30-2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Yeah, I had that thought as well. Even if by some miracle it is actually the Ripper there is simply not enough detail to make an identification.

c.d.
                  One can work backwards and see if someone's candidate matches the two unusual features of the carving: the receding forehead and the even more unusual squint of the right eye. The combination of the two features would be very unusual.

Comment

From Keith Skinner:

”If you look in the 2015 edition of the A To Z there is comprehensive and authoritative summary of the background to the walking stick. It wasn't stored at Bramshill but was displayed. When Bramshill closed it was carefully transferred to Ryton and there was never any mystery about its location or miracle about its reappearance.”
                    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                    JayHartley.com

Comment

I believe the walking stick was shown at the JTR Exhibition in Docklands 2008? Some one filmed a little movie of it so one can view around the stick if I remember correctly. I first become aware of the walking stick when Paul Begg posed a question about it on a rippercast many moons ago asking his fellow panelists if any of them thought if the carved figure might depict JTR.

I understand Steven Keogh's new book will be a police style investigation from the view point of Abberline. I may not have got that 100 pct correct. I am intrigued to hear his thoughts on the walking stick. I guess he won't share my view this is JTR!?

Comment

Hi magoo. Thanks for posting this. This is the best and clearest picture of JTR, sorry, carved-monk-man I have seen.

Cheers!

Comment

It looks like a typical art nouveau-style walking stick to me.

Comment

Just for jolly:

Compare walking stick man to the faces here:

I can see some general similarity especially with the face on the right hand side.

Packer was nobbled!

Comment

Not the mystical Whitechapel Shroud is it ?

Comment

Working...
                              X