• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

required reading

Hello Boris. Thanks.

"which year are you referring to, 1886?"

No, 1887.

"I still have some catching-up to do on the dynamite outrages it seems. At the moment I'm reading Fenian Fire by Christy Campbell, very interesting book."

Required reading, in my estimation.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further.

Hello Stewart. Thanks for sharing that.

"I have little doubt that some police officials misled, gilded the lily, boasted without foundation (on their own personal ideas), or tried to cast the police in a better light. Indeed I have often argued that such was the case."

I can go that far--perhaps not much more.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

I believe such discussions are more reflective of us than it is the people of those times. The unexplained has to be more complicated than it probably really was for our own sense of need for some disciplined order - even if for nefarious purposes - rather than the unnerving reality that there is sometimes chaos and confusion, mistakes and things unresolved in the course of human events.
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

simple solution

Hello Cris.

"The unexplained has to be more complicated than it probably really was. . ."

Precisely. I think many solutions are simpler than we take them to be.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            there were three or four well-placed rozzers who actually knew the truth.
            Simon I still say you should write a book and tell the world. Just bust it wide open. Get on the scoreboard.

You've been working out of the bullpen in Chavez Ravine long enough.

Roy
            Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM.
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Roy,

Busting it wide open is a tall order.

You have to take the mystery apart piece by piece, and then can only go as far as each piece of evidence leads you.

No book yet, but I hope your Ripperologist subscription is up-to-date.

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                Hi Roy,

Busting it wide open is a tall order.

You have to take the mystery apart piece by piece, and then can only go as far as each piece of evidence leads you.
                And here's me thinking the mystery was already in pieces, thats the problem.

Rather like Humpty-Dumpty, .... All the Kings horses and all the Kings men, could not put the mystery together again.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                  The reality is that we have eleven murders, in the official Whitechapel murders files, all of which were (and are) unsolved.

Ergo, no killer, or common killer, is known to have perpetrated any of these unsolved murders.

All else is speculation and personal opinion (and always will be).
                  There is good reason why I consider my knowledge, nay.. understanding, of these investigations and crimes greatly influenced by you Stewart. And that simple truth above means that we cannot trust any statements regarding any alleged solutions to these mysteries made by the contemporary investigators.

Some claimed the truth was known and the killer identified, some state it was not, some wished the police had more power to arrest the individual thought to have done these deeds.......and these were the opinions of the people most intimately involved with the intelligence collections!

I have said it many times here and got blasted for it....however, when someone like yourself says the very same thing it somehow becomes a more credible view.

So thanks for that.

My best regards Stewart. Hope all is well with you.

Comment

Working...
                  X