Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So possibly as Chris suggests the idea is to take the research and put it into the Wiki, where the research stands alone, untainted. Then allow the discussion to continue unfettered here, in the muck with the rowdy masses. I do think a link/thread on the boards should be made whenever something new is added to the Wiki, so people know what's being added. Right now the two entities exist in isolation from one another. I think there needs to be more promotion. There is a board devoted strictly to research that has higher standards for posting under General Discussion, but not many people take advantage of it. Maybe that should be the Wiki depository. Anyway just the ramblings of my slightly hungover and sleep deprived brain.
    The idea of making better use of facilities which already exist does have appeal...and I like the idea of posting something to advise members of new info appearing in Wiki...It also seems sensible to use part of the research area as a kind of winnowing floor for Wiki. More closely integrating the various part of the site males a good deal of sense...I bet some members have never even looked in Wiki. Not bad for "the morning after" Ally!

All the best

Dave

Comment

There is no crime that carries an obligate sentence of death. Death may be one option for the jury, but there will always be another option. Even in Texas.

It's possible that this defendant won't get death; it will depend on his defence, and whether or not he is offered a plea bargain. If he's offered a plea bargain for life in prison, I imagine his attorney will suggest that he take it, but he may have a defence that involves duress, or something. If he can convince the jury that his brother threatened him, or otherwise coerced him into participating, he might escape a death sentence.

Comment

I would be rather sad if discussions were segregated, because this would contradict one of Stephen's aims when he set up the boards in - what was it? - 1996 or 7. I remember, just about the time I joined in 2003, Stephen was getting so much legal hassle that he was considering closing the boards down. I remember him saying that one of his intentions had been to provide a place where the beginner could debate with the expert. I liked the sound of that then and I still do.

Comment

Me too Robert...I think Ally's thinking along different lines though - at least I hope so...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Can someone please define expert for me please?

And who decides such?

Cheers
            Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

No one decides someone is an expert they just are one, like David Starkey is an expert in Tudor history or Jamie Oliver is an expert in erm saying pukka and apparently when it comes to expertise Andrew Castle is an expert at tennis, no wait these examples petered out there, it was only because i realized David Starkey was a bad eg because of his education.

Philipa Gregory is now an expert on the War of the Roses because she did a lot of research ni that area and rote some novels.

These last few posts made me think we need a cb buddy system. People shouldnt be afraid of doing and publishing research, saying hi and not being an expert
              “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
                No one decides someone is an expert they just are one, like David Starkey is an expert in Tudor history or Jamie Oliver is an expert in erm saying pukka and apparently when it comes to expertise Andrew Castle is an expert at tennis, no wait these examples petered out there, it was only because i realized David Starkey was a bad eg because of his education.

Philipa Gregory is now an expert on the War of the Roses because she did a lot of research ni that area and rote some novels.

These last few posts made me think we need a cb buddy system. People shouldnt be afraid of doing and publishing research, saying hi and not being an expert
                It just happens huh?

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Just to be clear, no I am not recommending private forums. I don't understand the purpose of them, therefore I would not recommend them. Possibly they do serve a purpose, but I am not sure what that would be... that's why I was asking others, to try and figure out what the perceived benefits are of them.

There's a saying that sunlight is the best disinfectant, so I would think it would follow that making people publicly accountable for what they say would make them more inclined to "behave", I can't imagine what goes on in a brawl safe away from prying eyes. I bet it's popcorn worthy.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                    There is no crime that carries an obligate sentence of death. <snip>
                    Rivkah, you obviously have not been on the receiving end of one of Ally's rants!

Sorry, it was just too easy to respond facetiously.

Billy
                    Last edited by Toofew; 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

expert

Hello Neil. A local military man indicated to me that "expert" was derived from two words.

1. Ex=used to be, but are no more. Syn. "washed up."

2. Spurt=a drip under pressure.

Hence, an "expert" is a washed up drip under pressure.

(heh-heh)

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hi All,

"I am an expert in electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison." W.C. Fields.

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Understanding that the Dorset Street's case is both a domestic affair and a Ripper murder would be a good start.
                          As for those who believe that Eddowes and Stride have been killed by two different guys, well, they should not deserve a reply.
                          But show must go on (Freddy "Krueger" Mercury)

Comment

I wouldn't change a thing about these boards. I love the research stuff, I love the knock down drag out fights also. I have just passed my first decade of being a Casebookist, I love coming here.

If someone gets too out of hand....ban them!

Comment

No one decides, as in there isnt a board of people hwo decide whos an expert, like say a cartel
                              “be just and fear not”

Comment

I wouldn't change a thing about these boards.
                                A remarkable site. Which archives are so precious.

If someone gets too out of hand....ban them!
                                Yeah. Burn their house and kill all their friends.
                                I love the end of Unforgiven, you know...

Comment

Working...
                                X