Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Wainwright- UPDATE

Hi All!

A few years ago I began researching one of the brothers of "The Whitechapel Murderer" of 1875, Henry Wainwright. That story in itself is one to look at, if you haven't already. Henry had two brothers named Thomas and William. Thomas was an accessory after the fact in the murder of Harriet Lane and was sentenced to prison. Henry was hanged in 1875 for her murder. The business was located at No.215 Whitechapel Road at the time of Harriet Lane's murder. Later, William moved the business to No. 6 Great Gardens Street, Whitechapel. I will post a map, but basically travelling north on Great Garden Street from Whitechapel Road one would end up at Hanbury Street. On the south side of Whitechapel Road one would be almost at the doorstep of No.254 Whitechapel Road. The location of the knife found by Thomas Coram after the double event.

When looking at this case originally, I found some press reports that peaked my interest in William Wainwright. One, originally posted by Howard Brown, and others that I found stated that William Wainwright was found aboard a train headed to Dalston with a bullet in his head. The death was ruled a suicide.

Brooklyn Daily Eagle
    New York, USA
    1 October 1892

William, the brother who killed himself today, was also suspected of having been implicated in the murder. As yet no reason is given why he should have committed suicide.

The press reports stated William Wainwright was a church warden, Past Master of a well known masonic lodge and member of the Whitechapel Board of Works. His residence was given as No. 6, Addington Road, Mile End.

A week later, a man named Bernard Terry committed suicide.

London Evening News And Post October 4, 1892

An East End Suicide

A Late Employee of Wainwright Ends His Life
    by Cutting His Throat

An evil fate would seem to pursue the Wainwright family, and even those connected with it. Henry Wainwright was hanged for the murder of Harriet Lane 17 years ago. Last week his brother, William Wainwright, blew out his brains in a railway carriage. This morning it transpired that a man, named Bernard G. Terry, residing at 10, Bradwell-street, Mile End, who, until recently, was employed by the latter, has committed suicide by cutting his throat. The deceased, it is stated, was in receipt of a small allowance from Mr. Wainwright, and it is conjectured that the loss of this, as well as the death of his old employer, so preyed upon his mind as to lead him to commit the deed.
    Mr. Wm. Wainwright's funeral took place yesterday, and was attended by several hundred people.

Recently, I decided to look into the report about the Board of Works and Masonic Lodge angle from the suicide report in the paper. I found several BoW meetings in which William attended. To my surprise, I also found that William Wainwright was a Past Master and Treasurer for Doric Lodge 933 during the relevant years of the Ripper crimes. That may not seem too interesting until I found out from a post on this board from a poster named Mayerling that William was having marital problems toward the latter part of 1888 and tried reconciliation, to no avail. An important figure in the Ripper crimes was the head of the Vigilance Committee, George Akin Lusk. Lusk was relieved of his membership from Doric Lodge 933 in 1889 for failure to pay his dues. I believe treasurer of the lodge would have been responsible for this sanction, which would have been Wainwright. Two other prominent people that attended Doric 933 were Arthur Dutfield (Dutfield Yard) and Charles Digby (Superintendent of V Division, Wandsworth). I have been able to find evidence of Wainwright, Digby and Lusk in Freemason articles and substantiate the claim but nothing on Dutfield as of yet. It was this book, Crime and the Craft: Masonic Involvement in Murder, Treason and Scandal by Mike Neville, that had the Dutfield, Lusk and Digby reference as members of Doric 933. Doric Lodge 933 of Instruction held regular meetings at No.79, Whitechapel Road, The Duke's Head Tavern. They also held meetings at No. 242 Whitechapel Road and at Anderton's Hotel, Fleet Street. Also, of interest, the Upton Lodge 1227 met at the Three Nuns Hotel.

Below I have included a couple of maps for the Great Gardens Street location for reference. I also have supporting clips from various Freemason articles regarding what I have written if anyone is interested. The Whitechapel Board of Works info is on a thread on this website (Board of Works and Ripper/Torso Sites (Compiled info) - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums). One item of interest is that the Pinchin torso was deposited on Whitechapel Board of Works land and Arthur Dutfield had moved part of his business to 10-18 Pinchin Street two years prior to the murder.

(Great Gardens Street)

(Coram Knife-BLUE ARROW)(Wainwright Brushmaking Business No. 6 Great Gardens Street- RED ARROW)
    Last edited by jerryd; 05-05-2022, 05:13 AM.

I meant to mention in my original post that George Lusk was a vestryman for the Board of Works (Mile end). Representing the BoW was another tie-in with Wainwright and Lusk.

Comment

Wasn't the Coram knife found on the sidewalk next to 253 Whitechapel Road, the laundry premise of Norah Christmas? Number 254 was a brothel, ostensibly used as a tobacco shop.

Comment

Yes. No. 253 Scott. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          Wasn't the Coram knife found on the sidewalk next to 253 Whitechapel Road, the laundry premise of Norah Christmas? Number 254 was a brothel, ostensibly used as a tobacco shop.
          -- How far is No. 253 from that Hospital's A&E equivalent...?

M.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
            Yes. No. 253 Scott. My mistake.
            Thank goodness the knife wasn't dropped in front of #254. It wouldn't do for a killer to drop his murder weapon right in front of his own doorstep.

Mark -- not sure what you mean exactly. But St. Mary's was less than 100 yards away on the same side of the road.

Comment

Working...
            X