Did Evans Kill Beryl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Evans Kill Beryl?

This is a startling read (to me) and one that poses so many questions.

I'm amazed that this chap (as a boy) was linked so closely to Evans and Christie.

I admit that I don't agree with his opinion that Evans killed Beryl. I am certain that Christie did it and the events unfolded as we have been told but it is a fascinating story to tell from the perspective of the brother.

But it looks like he (the brother/author) simply fell for the psychopathic personality of Christie as a quiet, pleasant and kind gentleman while the roguish personality of Evans has been interpreted as the sinister characteristics of a would-be be murder.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/arts...-place-2959838
    Last edited by richardh; 05-04-2022, 01:36 PM.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Conversely, Evans *could have* killed Beryl and Christie might have been spooked that the police would discover his own murderous deeds should they be involved and so got rid of Evans and hid the body for him.

Thinking out loud here!
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

I did read the book when it fist came out and I have to say that I think that it’s at least possible the Evans killed Beryl. Evans appears to have been a real nasty piece of work though I agree that it seems unlikely given who owned the house.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hi Richard and Herlock - whilst the author Peter Thorley's memories and perspective of those directly involved in this case will undoubtedly be interesting and, from what he has stated, go some way to lessening the ''poor Timothy'' character developed and emphasised by Ludovic Kennedy, I have my doubts as to how much light he can throw on what actually happened to his sister Beryl and niece Geraldine.

After all, as he declares, Thorley was heading to New Zealand at the time the murders were committed and the the bodies concealed. Furthermore, he refers to Christie as ''a good man'' in the Sussex Express article above. I don't blame him for being duped by Christie - he was hardly alone there - but it does show his judgement hasn't always been spot on.

I therefore haven't as yet bought or read this book although don't rule that out. As you have already, a quick question please. Does this book cover at all Evans' meeting with Donald Hume in Brixton prison hospital when both were awaiting trial for murder? Hume spoke about this years later on his release from prison. According to Hume, Evans blamed Christie for both murders although admitted being present when Geraldine was killed. However, like Evans and Christie, Hume was an inveterate liar which makes putting the pieces together to make a clear picture totally impossible. One thing which is certain, Hume was far more accomplished at lying than Evans. That enabled Hume to escape the noose and only be jailed as an accessory to the murder of a shady business colleague, Stanley Setty. He claimed to have told Evans, ''to pick out the best story for the job and stick to it like I had''. Upon his release, Hume sold his ''murder confession'' of Setty to a newspaper and ended up being convicted and jailed for a further murder in Switzerland.

Thanks and best regards,
        OneRound

Comment

Working...
        X