Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - Former Scotland Yard DI & Author

Hello all,

I wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I'm a recently retired Scotland Yard DI. I spent 30 years in the Met, with the last 12 being as a murder investigator. I am also the author of a book that looks at how modern day Scotland Yard investigates murder: Murder Investigation Team

The reason I am here, I have just been signed up by a publisher to write a book about JTR, but from a modern day Scotland Yard viewpoint. I'm in the research stage and have found this site extremely helpful. I also thought it would be polite to introduce myself to those in the Ripper world, before any book is released.

Since immersing myself in the subject, I've become very fond of Frederick Abberline, who I feel I share a bond with. Prior to Scotland Yard, I spent a few years as a DS covering Whitechapel (now Tower Hamlets) and prior to that, investigating terrorists (although Islamic not Fenian).

In the near future I may be picking a few people's brains, if that is OK.

Also, in terms of the book, if anyone has any thoughts on what they would like to see contents-wise, that would interesting.

Thanks for reading and best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your research and book.

Comment

welcome to the nut house! : )

and congrats and good luck with your book!

Comment

Hi Steve

welcome, that sounds very interesting. I hope you’ll share some of your insights during your work.

Educated as an historian, I’m wary of attempts of a-historical approaches, like using modern-day police thinking in a 19th century setting. Another former UK police officer, as well as other posters here, tends to do that often, with less than stellar results.

I don’t mean to disparage your efforts I’m sure it will be interesting to see how you approach the case. Best of luck with your book!

Comment

One aspect of the case you may wish to examine is why, if the Ripper's identity was largely unknown, did Anderson say it was known. Frederick Abberline, who should have known one way or the other, said it wasn't. There are only vague hints that a few Scotland Yard Officials agreed with Anderson. What could have happened to obscure the Ripper's identity amongst most of the police?
          Last edited by Scott Nelson; 04-25-2022, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

Your book sounds interesting and I'll look forward to reading it once it's published.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
              Hi Steve

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your research and book.
              Thank you, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                welcome to the nut house! : )

and congrats and good luck with your book!
                Thank you. I've just seen they've you've made over 10k posts.... Wow.

I have to say, the knowledge here is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                  Hi Steve

welcome, that sounds very interesting. I hope you’ll share some of your insights during your work.

Educated as an historian, I’m wary of attempts of a-historical approaches, like using modern-day police thinking in a 19th century setting. Another former UK police officer, as well as other posters here, tends to do that often, with less than stellar results.

I don’t mean to disparage your efforts I’m sure it will be interesting to see how you approach the case. Best of luck with your book!
                  Hi and thank you. It's very early stages, but looking to come at it from a different angle. A bit more on how things would be done now, rather than just trying to shoe horn today's methods into the past. I'm very much at the research stage, so will see how things develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                    Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

Your book sounds interesting and I'll look forward to reading it once it's published.
                    Hi, thank you for the kind welcome, it really is appreciated. It's quite daunting entering a world with so many knowledgeable people.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                      One aspect of the case you may wish to examine is why, if the Ripper's identity was largely unknown, did Anderson say it was known. Frederick Abberline, who should have known one way or the other, said it wasn't. There are only vague hints that a few Scotland Yard Officials agreed with Anderson. What could have happened to obscure the Ripper's identity amongst most of the police?
                      Hi Scott. Thank you. I definitely have some views on that, so will keep it in mind for the book.

Comment

Ripperology can be more cut-throat than Jack himself.

Welcome.
                        Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                        JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by StevenKeogh View Post

Hi, thank you for the kind welcome, it really is appreciated. It's quite daunting entering a world with so many knowledgeable people.
                          Agreed!

I spent over a year lurking before finally plucking up the courage to take the plunge!

Before signing up, I thought I knew quite a lot about this subject but soon realised that I knew almost nothing in comparison to some posters.

The level of knowledge is initially a bit intimidating, but you'll find that most posters are happy to bat ideas around and talk theories regardless.

Enjoy your time aboard!
                          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                            Ripperology can be more cut-throat than Jack himself.

Welcome.
                            Haha, thank you and thanks for the warning

Comment

Welcome, but be aware it can be a tough crowd here.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X