Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    If he did come from a higher level of society then I don’t think that he’d have dressed as he normally would have for a ball at Lady Fortescue’s I think that the better off suspects (Druitt, Maybrick etc) would probably have dressed down to blend in. I could wrong but I don’t see them wanting to draw attention to themselves in any way. It’s why I struggle a bit with BS Man and Astrakhan Man as suspects. It certainly doesn’t eliminate them of course.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
    Was Jack the popular top hated toff of legend is he more likely to have been one of the less glam suspects?
    he was wearing a peaked cap. like something a sailor would wear

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
    Not a single eyewitness reported the Ripper as wearing a top hat. Even Hutchinson who went out of his way to describe in great detail a wealthy, glamorously dressed Ripper did not go so far as to claim that a serial killer would be wearing a top hat while cavorting with prostitutes in the east end.
    But eyewitness accounts are notoriously innacurate. Plus we don't even know if any witness actually saw the Ripper.

Cheers John

Leave a comment:

• Damaso Marte
    replied
    Not a single eyewitness reported the Ripper as wearing a top hat. Even Hutchinson who went out of his way to describe in great detail a wealthy, glamorously dressed Ripper did not go so far as to claim that a serial killer would be wearing a top hat while cavorting with prostitutes in the east end.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
    Maybrick wore a top hat though...
    Probably why Anne Graham thought he'd make a top-hole JtR. The only surprise is that she didn't add the pea-souper for good measure,

And for everyone else, yes, that was sarcasm.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied

Hi Al
    What's wrong with Bury as a suspect?

Cheers John
    A better suspect than most, he's not too easily dismissed, but I don't imagine I'll ever be swayed towards his candidacy any more than other named suspects.

Maybrick wore a top hat though...

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Personally, my money is on a less glam suspect.

The top hatted, cape wearing, knife toting killer emerging from the London fog is a great image though.

It's redolent with a kind of vampiric / Hammer Horror mystique.

For all the different hats kicking around then, I don't recall any witnesses describing any shady top hat wearing characters in the vicinity, although I know it's debatable whether anyone actually saw the Ripper.
    I agree Ms Diddles the top hatted toff emerging from the London fog is great for cinema etc.

Cheers John

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

I think you mean "hatted."

c.d.
    Hi c.d.

Yes dyslexia can be a pain sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

I'd say one of the less glamorous suspects, certainly not a top hatted becaped stereotype, which is undoubtedly a later invention. And not Bury either. Despite his lack of top hat and cape.
    Hi Al
    What's wrong with Bury as a suspect?

Cheers John

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Was Jack the popular top hated toff of legend is he more likely to have been one of the less glam suspects?
    I'd say one of the less glamorous suspects, certainly not a top hatted becaped stereotype, which is undoubtedly a later invention. And not Bury either. Despite his lack of top hat and cape.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Personally, my money is on a less glam suspect.

The top hatted, cape wearing, knife toting killer emerging from the London fog is a great image though.

It's redolent with a kind of vampiric / Hammer Horror mystique.

For all the different hats kicking around then, I don't recall any witnesses describing any shady top hat wearing characters in the vicinity, although I know it's debatable whether anyone actually saw the Ripper.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    I think you mean "hatted."

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    started a topic Jack a too hated toff?

Jack a too hated toff?

Working...
X