Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caz View Post

Absolutely, Jeff.

And I agree with the rest of your post too.

I don't see much difference between concluding that, for argument's sake, George Chapman or Monty Druitt was the ripper - both suspected by others in the past - and concluding it was someone never previously mentioned or suspected. A conclusion of any sort would need far stronger evidence than has so far been presented by anyone. The various 'case closed' books don't thrill me, regardless of whether it was Francis Tumblety being fingered, or Lewis Carroll. Every man Jack of them was overwhelmingly likely to be innocent of those murders.

However, in the case of presenting Mr X or Mr Y as a hypothesis, it's less black and white for me, and the justification for it depends largely on the quality of the research and the reasoning involved in making a case against the individual concerned. Speculation is inevitable to fill in the gaps, but will rightly be frowned upon whenever it takes liberties with the evidence. This happens a lot, yet I am still surprised by how much more offence is taken by those who are taking the most liberties.

A strong case should be able to do its own leg work, taking people with it rather than leaving everyone sceptical. That's why I'd like to think that we'd know it if the ripper had already been in our sights, because everything learned about him should have led naturally to that conclusion, and nothing should have needed altering to fit.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Yes, and nicely put.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Can you give us a teeny tiny clue?
      I would like to but I think it's best I don't say anything more.

I regret posting my prediction now, not that I don't know the identity of Jack, Astrakhan and Kelly but because I'm sure I do.

If you ever fancy going to a full or interim meeting of the Whitechapel Society, when they revert back to face to face meetings, let me know and I'll make sure I attend too.

Or maybe a meet up in a pub here in London before then?

I'll be happy then to tell you more and I can show you a picture of Jack, Astrakhan, and a picture of Kelly's of siblings. Her siblings look similar to the press picture of Kelly (the dark haired, dumpy looking one, not the blonde bombshell one). Kelly's press picture has the same type of chin i.e. a bump with a cleft. A combination which I think is fairly unusual.

I'll be interested in what you think of them.

regards,

Martyn
      Last edited by mpriestnall; 05-21-2021, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Best of luck with the book!

I will look forward to reading it once published!
        Thanks Ms Diddles. I appreciate it.

The offer I made to Mr Barnett is open to you, but I don't think you're London based and may not be too convenient etc!

If Gary decides to take up the offer, perhaps he could let you know afterwards his thoughts on the pictures of Jack/Astrakhan, and Kelly siblings etc?

regards,

Martyn
        Last edited by mpriestnall; 05-21-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

I would like to but I think it's best I don't say anything more.

I regret posting my prediction now, not that I don't know the identity of Jack, Astrakhan and Kelly but because I'm sure I do.

If you ever fancy going to a full or interim meeting of the Whitechapel Society, when they revert back to face to face meetings, let me know and I'll make sure I attend too.

Or maybe a meet up in a pub here in London before then?

I'll be happy then to tell you more and I can show you a picture of Jack, Astrakhan, and a picture of Kelly's of siblings. Her siblings look similar to the press picture of Kelly (the dark haired, dumpy looking one, not the blonde bombshell one). Kelly's press picture has the same type of chin i.e. a bump with a cleft. A combination which I think is fairly unusual.

I'll be interested in what you think of them.

regards,

Martyn
          That sounds like an offer I can’t refuse.

I have my own ideas about MJK and who might have been involved in her death. Not a full-blown theory and no real evidence, just a hunch that certain people I’ve come across may have been involved in some way.

I am a member of the WS, so a meet up there sounds good. I also drink beer, so a meet in a pub sounds even better.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

That sounds like an offer I can’t refuse.

I have my own ideas about MJK and who might have been involved in her death. Not a full-blown theory and no real evidence, just a hunch that certain people I’ve come across may have been involved in some way.

I am a member of the WS, so a meet up there sounds good. I also drink beer, so a meet in a pub sounds even better.

Option 2 it is then!

I thought you were a WS member as I saw your name quoted in the last or recent edition of the Journal in relation to an article I think! I'm in the Goodmans at the moment and I'm working from memory.

The pictures of Jack, Astrakhan and Kelly all have interesting contexts because I have copy and pasted them (nothing Photoshopped!) adjacent to other pictures, namely:

- Jack along side the face carved on Abbeline's walking stick.
            - Astrakhan against Randolph Churchill's face.
            - Kelly's press picture against 2 of "my" Kelly's sisters, bumpy-clefted chins and all.

I have a "smoking-gun" level document in my possession, which I'm sure will be of interest to you as well.

I tried to show Bill and Mark et al this at the very last face-to-face interim meeting just before the Great Plague started, but they understandably struggled to read it due to the handwriting and the poor light in the Crutched Friars and it was at the very end of the session anyway. I'll bring along to the next interim and give it another go.

I'll bring it to the pub to show you as well, along with a transcription though you can see the original too.

I'm looking to meeting you and hearing your take on Kelly and co.

I'll PM you so we can agree the date and pub!

Martyn
            Last edited by mpriestnall; 05-21-2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ms Diddles. I appreciate it.

The offer I made to Mr Barnett is open to you, but I don't think you're London based and may not be too convenient etc!

If Gary decides to take up the offer, perhaps he could let you know afterwards his thoughts on the pictures of Jack/Astrakhan, and Kelly siblings etc?

regards,

Martyn
              Thanks Martyn!

That's really kind of you and very intriguing!!

I'm up in rainy Scotland, but am planning a trip to Whitechapel with a friend later this year (or indeed early next year, depending on this plague!).

We're planning on spending three days in London.

It's a packed itinerary!

My friend is "curating" a Franklin day (Greenwich Maritime Museum etc).

I'm in charge of the Ripper day (any feasible murder sites, Brick Lane, many pubs and a curry in the old Frying Pan)!

The third day will involve posh shops, afternoon tea and cocktails!

I will let you know when the "Ripper Day" is, and if you happen to be free and fancy a pint, we'd love to see your pics.

They sound very interesting.

Good luck with the writing in the meantime!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Thanks Martyn!

That's really kind of you and very intriguing!!

I'm up in rainy Scotland, but am planning a trip to Whitechapel with a friend later this year (or indeed early next year, depending on this plague!).

We're planning on spending three days in London.

It's a packed itinerary!

My friend is "curating" a Franklin day (Greenwich Maritime Museum etc).

I'm in charge of the Ripper day (any feasible murder sites, Brick Lane, many pubs and a curry in the old Frying Pan)!

The third day will involve posh shops, afternoon tea and cocktails!

I will let you know when the "Ripper Day" is, and if you happen to be free and fancy a pint, we'd love to see your pics.

They sound very interesting.

Good luck with the writing in the meantime!
                Your welcome.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

Please do let me know ahead of time about your "Ripper Day" and I'll do my best to be there along with those pics.

And thanks for the invite!

Martyn

Comment

Your welcome.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

Please do let me know ahead of time about your "Ripper Day" and I'll do my best to be there along with those pics.

And thanks for the invite!

Martyn
                  Of course!

I'll drop you a PM when we have a definite plan.

We're hanging fire on booking anything right now until we see how things play out Covid-wise.

I quite like the idea of an autumn / winter trip.

Whitechapel would be a bit darker and more atmospheric, and I could do some Christmas shopping while I'm there!

Comment

So, don't forget the laptop so this meeting can be Skyped for Casebook members around the world.....
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      So, don't forget the laptop so this meeting can be Skyped for Casebook members around the world.....
                      Oh Gosh!

I'd probably have one too many and forget my laptop in the Ten Bells!!!

Will post pics though!

Comment

Working...
                      X