What would it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
    In order to make progress on definitely identifying Jack the Ripper there are a few things would could occur:

A diary could be discovered either by the JtR or someone close to them which successfully passes all of the ink tests and other dating methods and contains details which were not of public knowledge.

The envelopes and stamps of Ripper letters are tested for DNA. For example the Dear Boss envelope and Saucy Jack postcard are currently held at the National archive. They could be submitted for DNA extraction from the stamps and envelope folds. What I would suggest is that the relatives of Thomas Bulling, John Moore, Fred Best, and Tom Bullen are traced and asked if they would like to provide DNA sample which would allow for the two letters to be easily determined whether they are hoaxs. If not then we look for a distant relative on GEDmatch or another DNA database if a sample is successfully extracted. If they are hoaxes we would like look into other letters, especially ones with accurate prior knowledge of the murders before they are committed. This method would likely be unachievable without the assistance of the MET Police but I do wonder if this could be crowdfunded and done in partnership with the MET archive and museum team and the National Archive. The cost of testing the letters would be around £300 each so if a proposal was put together and accepted by the MET / NA we could raise £600 to get both letters tested. This method could be especially hopeful due to in the last 12 months, leaps and bounds of progress has been made in stamp DNA recovery.

​​​​​​Alternatively, we could ask homeowners for permission to use metal detectors to search the gardens of suspects address. Whilst a longshot a knife may be found. For example, William Bury's Whitechapel address has a garden behind it and whilst I'm fully aware the plot of land can change a lot over 100+ years, the discovery of a buried knife or other item in the vicinity of a suspects home would certainly progress the case.

Whilst a non-starter exhumation of victims could allow for DNA recovery and in some cases could strengthen suspects. For example Francis Spurzheim Craig.

Despite the fact it's unlikely the case will ever be solved what's give me hope is if the Littlechild letter was only discovered 30 years ago I'm categorically certain there's still things out their to be discovered.
    I actually like this idea. I think something similar to the DNA used to catch the Golden State Killer could be used but in another off shoot way. Since JtR would be someone's ancestor, instead of tracing the DNA through a common ancestor to find the modern day person, use the dna to trace it from the ancestor to the modern day person, here's the question though...if it really were someone in the royal family would they allow it to be released? Say what you wish about the power of the Queen but if she doesn't wish something released it doesn't get released.

Comment

Working...
    X