Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was JtR inspired by this 1655 Ballard displayed at the British Museum in 1888?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was JtR inspired by this 1655 Ballard displayed at the British Museum in 1888?

Hi all,

I have recently recovered from a severe illness and am back to exploring many different leads and rabbit holes. There are a number of things I am working on but here is something I found interesting.

In 1888 this black letter Ballard was on display in the British Museum. It was written in 1655 and published by Francis Grove. Although most likely coincidence it has an eerie similarity to JtR especially MJK and I wonder if he could've been inspired by it.

"Strange and wonderfull news of a woman which lived neer unto the famous city of London, who had her head torn off from her body by the divell and her lymbs rent in peices and scattered about in the room where the mischief was done, which may serve to forwarn all proud and disloyall men and women, to have a care how they behave themselves, whilst they live in this sinfull world, that they fall not into the like temptations : the manner how shee made her bargain with the divil, shee confest to some of her neighbors before her death."

In other news I recently discovered my great great uncles John Marini and Anthony Marini lived with Woolf Kosminski (Aaron Kosminski's brother) in Whitechapel during the 1890s so now I have an ancestral connection to the case.

Hope everyone is well,
    Astatine
    Last edited by Astatine211; 03-22-2021, 08:31 PM.

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently recovered from a severe illness and am back to exploring many different leads and rabbit holes. There are a number of things I am working on but here is something I found interesting.

In 1888 this black letter Ballard was on display in the British Museum. It was written in 1655 and published by Francis Grove. Although most likely coincidence it has an eerie similarity to JtR especially MJK and I wonder if he could've been inspired by it.

"Strange and wonderfull news of a woman which lived neer unto the famous city of London, who had her head torn off from her body by the divell and her lymbs rent in peices and scattered about in the room where the mischief was done, which may serve to forwarn all proud and disloyall men and women, to have a care how they behave themselves, whilst they live in this sinfull world, that they fall not into the like temptations : the manner how shee made her bargain with the divil, shee confest to some of her neighbors before her death."

In other news I recently discovered my great great uncles John Marini and Anthony Marini lived with Woolf Kosminski (Aaron Kosminski's brother) in Whitechapel during the 1890s so now I have an ancestral connection to the case.

Hope everyone is well,
    Astatine
    Hi Astatine,

Interesting find, whether or not it has any bearing on the case, thanks for bring this to the boards. And, glad to hear you've recovered from your illness. Hope all is well.

Your family connection to Woolf Kosminski is interesting. How did you learn of this connection? Is it a family knowledge type thing, or is it documented somewhere that John and Anthony Marini lived with Woolf Kosminski and you've recently discovered a relationship with them?

Welcome back.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Hi Astatine,

Interesting find, whether or not it has any bearing on the case, thanks for bring this to the boards. And, glad to hear you've recovered from your illness. Hope all is well.

Your family connection to Woolf Kosminski is interesting. How did you learn of this connection? Is it a family knowledge type thing, or is it documented somewhere that John and Anthony Marini lived with Woolf Kosminski and you've recently discovered a relationship with them?

Welcome back.

- Jeff
      Thanks Jeff. Recently I was tracing back my mum's ancestors on Ancestry and was taken about when I noticed my great great great uncle John Marini was listed at living 5 Cannon Place in Whitechapel in 1897. Due to my interest in JtR I looked into it and found a recovered thread where it explained how there was a significant chance John, Anthony and Woolf Kosminski lived together or at least knew each other due to Woolf listing 5 Cannon Place as his address in the Asylum archives during the same time John and Anthony were living there. I will link the post for you to look at if you're interested. John was also living in Whitechapel for a number of years prior due to having children born there in the early 1890s.

Here are the links to my sources:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...read#post11561

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...55734879/facts

I just find it kinda amazing that I have a proper six degrees of separation to the case which I didn't previously know about.

Here's a photo of John Marini:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Astatine211; 03-22-2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post

Thanks Jeff. Recently I was tracing back my mum's ancestors on Ancestry and was taken about when I noticed my great great great uncle John Marini was listed at living 5 Cannon Place in Whitechapel in 1897. Due to my interest in JtR I looked into it and found a recovered thread where it explained how there was a significant chance John, Anthony and Woolf Kosminski lived together or at least knew each other due to Woolf listing 5 Cannon Place as his address in the Asylum archives during the same time John and Anthony were living there. I will link the post for you to look at if you're interested. John was also living in Whitechapel for a number of years prior due to having children born there in the early 1890s.

Here are the links to my sources:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...read#post11561

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...55734879/facts

I just find it kinda amazing that I have a proper six degrees of separation to the case which I didn't previously know about.

Here's a photo of John Marini:
        Nice. Looking at the bottom of the past thread where it mentions your relatives, it could be that your relatives were the next tenants to occupy the property after Woolf Kosminski moved out, in which case they may never have crossed paths. However, if you continue to research this you may find something that rules that out, so good luck to you either way. Interesting stuff. Hmmmm, now if you could just find a diary by one of your relatives detailing conversations they had with the Kosminskis ....

- Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X