Other attacks : man wearing deerstalker hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Certainly we can all think of reason's why the flower may have been there but not visible to either Brown or Marshall. It's just that we shouldn't do that (imo) unless the witness says "it could have been there, but just obscured from view", otherwise we end up looking desperate to support some personal theory as opposed to taking the evidence as given.
    According to the Telegraph, Brown couldn't say whether or not the man was wearing a hat. What are we to make of that?
    Since he doesn't say "it could have been there, but just obscured from view" are we forced to conclude that he was wearing Schrodinger's hat?

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

For the sake of this argument, it doesn't matter so much what combination of Diemschitz, Kozebrodsky or some other member of the club is said to be the two who ran up to Grove street and back. Let's just call the pair; Search Party 1
      Brown hears this what could be presumed to be SP1, opens his window but sees no one, and then the screams apparently cease.
      All fine up to now, but then he says - Shortly afterwards I saw a policeman standing at the corner of Christian-street.
      I would have thought he would have seen Spooner and lady friend, if anyone.
      So how much time is represented by 'shortly afterwards'?
      After reading several versions of Brown's testimony, we can make it fit what Spooner says if we allow a few minutes for the "shortly after".
      Brown must have heard men running east towards Grove, and then looked out his window.
      As it is only a short distance to Grove the men turned back, picked up Spooner at the corner of Christian, and hurried on back to Berner St. It is now when Brown steps outside, or looks out the window again (though he doesn't say which he did).
      At that point he see's a policeman on the corner of Christian, and another man gesturing for him to go towards Berner St.

This places the arrival of PC Collins after Spooner, which is consistent with what Spooner said.

Firstly, if Collins has heard Lamb's whistling, why is he standing on the corner, and not proceeding to Berner street?
      Why do you think he heard PC Lamb's whistle?

If we call Eagle & Kozebrodski's search on Commercial Road, Search Party 2, these shouts must come from SP3.
      I don't see why.

Thirdly, who is this man telling the constable he is wanted? Is he SP4?
      The man seen by Brown gesturing to Collins, we don't have his name.

Fourthly, by the time we get to a possible SP4, how can Lamb and 426H not be at DY, and therefore why would there be a need to continue sending out search parties?

None of this makes any sense,..
      I think you were jumping too far ahead. We only have two search parties that I recall.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

According to the Telegraph, Brown couldn't say whether or not the man was wearing a hat. What are we to make of that?
        Since he doesn't say "it could have been there, but just obscured from view" are we forced to conclude that he was wearing Schrodinger's hat?
        I suggest you read what the Telegraph actually says.

Then, the Times, then the Daily News, etc., etc.
        Last edited by Wickerman; 12-22-2020, 01:41 AM.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
          Nowadays, just because someone is wearing a baseball cap doesn't mean that they PLAY baseball, or are even going to a game. Maybe the deerstalker was what was available at Goodwill or what he found in a dumpster (or could steal).
          Oops. Goodwill was founded in 1902. The Salvation Army, however, had been running charities in London since 1865.

Comment

Thomas Ede, at the Nichols Inquest, described seeing a man carrying a knife and wearing a cap with two peaks.

Daily Telegraph 18 Sept;
            "Witness described the man as 5 ft. 8 in. high, about thirty-five years of age, with a dark moustache and whiskers. He wore a double-peaked cap, a short dark brown jacket, and a pair of clean white overalls over dark trousers. The man walked as though he had a stiff knee, and he had a fearful look about the eyes. He seemed to be a mechanic.
            By the Jury: He was not a muscular man"

Comment

Working...
            X