Child's Surprise Bag - Bunker Bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Takes me back - i knew them as jamboree bags too.
    Me too. I kept on buying the girl's version, in the forlorn hope of finding something good in my bag, but I should have known better and spent my money on favourites, like raspberry ruffles or sweet tobacco.

I remember buying 12 aniseed balls for a penny, or 4 for a farthing, and I think fruit salads and blackjacks were a ha'penny each. I'm talking late fifties, early sixties.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

Me too. I kept on buying the girl's version, in the forlorn hope of finding something good in my bag, but I should have known better and spent my money on favourites, like raspberry ruffles or sweet tobacco.

I remember buying 12 aniseed balls for a penny, or 4 for a farthing, and I think fruit salads and blackjacks were a ha'penny each. I'm talking late fifties, early sixties.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Sweet tobacco brings back memories (though they must be false memories of course because I’m far too young to remember it) Unfortunately I don’t put sweet tobacco in my pipe.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
        Definitely not a waste of time, I think we all love a delve into nostalgia!

I'll see Ozzy's newsagent of yesteryear, and I'll raise him Pinocchio's Chippy in Leicester, selling single cigarettes to 'substantially refreshed' revellers well into the 2010's. Legitimately officer. All duty paid. Ahem.

Potato Puffs. Cheapest crisps going, were meant to look like Macaroni, always ended up being a bag full of smashed up shards. And chocolate cigarettes. They were awful, with actual paper round them. Made irresistible by virtue of the fact that I was never allowed to buy them. Truly, a golden age.
        Am I mistaken or couldn’t you buy chocolate cigarettes with edible paper? Or have I just eaten a load of paper
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Love,

Caz
          X
          Hi Caz,

I think Fruit Salads and Black Jacks were 4 a penny in the mid-60s.

I bought some from a vending machine a couple of years back for my granddaughter - 10 for a quid! That’s 2s each!!!

You could have bought 96 for 2 bob back in the day.

(I hope I got the maths right.)

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Am I mistaken or couldn’t you buy chocolate cigarettes with edible paper? Or have I just eaten a load of paper
            Yes you could, Mike.

Comment

Love,

Caz
              X
              Raspberry Ruffles were one of my favourites and I recently discovered they are still made by Jamiesons, but only seen them in Poundland

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Hi Caz,

I bought some from a vending machine a couple of years back for my granddaughter - 10 for a quid! That’s 2s each!!!

Gary
                Hi Gary,

I got my maths wrong with the aniseed balls. As 12 cost a penny in my day, I'd have got 3 for a farthing, not 4. And yes, I think you are right about the Fruit Salads and Black Jacks being 4 a penny. My mental arithmetic was better when I was five than it is now!

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Raspberry Ruffles were one of my favourites and I recently discovered they are still made by Jamiesons, but only seen them in Poundland
                  I just noticed you can get them on Amazon, etenguy. Jamesons do multi packs of the chocolates, and they also make Raspberry Ruffle bars, which I don't remember ever having. In fact, I might treat myself to some of both!

Love,

Caz
                  X

Comment

Hi Caz,

Gary
                    Shouldn’t that have been in groats Gary
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Shouldn’t that have been in groats Gary
                      I still carry a tanner (6d) and a huge 1807 penny in my wallet. Who knows, when we get Brexit properly done we may start using real money again.

Comment

I still carry a tanner (6d) and a huge 1807 penny in my wallet. Who knows, when we get Brexit properly done we may start using real money again.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Yes, Gary, by January our economy will be properly down the toilet thanks to Brexit, but at least you'll have seven pence in old money. Don't spend it all at once.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

Mmm, sweet tobacco!

I think the last time I had it was when I was about 16. I remember it clearly because my dad had bought me some to share with my bestie, Jo. Unfortunately I give her half of it whilst we were getting ready for a ride. As I passed it over, her horse grabbed it and wolfed it down! So I then gave her half of my remaining portion (away from greedy horses). So we didn't get very much in the end.

Heh, I started poking about on eBay and Amazon - you can still buy it, Spanish Gold sweet tobacco. Though it is pretty expensive. I showed my son (he is too young to remember it) and he mumbled something about it looks just like I am shopping for some "dodgy drugs... or worms"!!

Comment

Working...
                            X