Departure and arrival times for lodging houses and pubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departure and arrival times for lodging houses and pubs

Were there specific times people had to leave a lodging house at? were there time constraints on when they could check back in? I'm sure I read some time ago that all lodging houses had a rule which stated that lodgers had to vacate by 10am and arrive back in the evening no later than 11pm?

As for pubs anyone know what the opening and closing times were? or did it vary? 2am closing sound right to you?

thank you!

Hello again.

If you've got some spare time, this covers alcohol consumption and regulation (or attempts at such) and the broader social aspects in the period 1869 - 1914.

Note, the link is not the article, you need to download it, it's 200 pages.

Where did JtR approach his victims? In the pub on the street? Did he buy them a few drinks first or did he simply proposition them on the street? Is there any evidence in favour of one over the other? Tristan

You'll also find across various threads that opening hours, and enforcing them, seems to have been more a suggestion than rule in the LVP, hence the need to definitively address the issue during WW1.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by MrTwibbs View Post
      Were there specific times people had to leave a lodging house at? were there time constraints on when they could check back in? I'm sure I read some time ago that all lodging houses had a rule which stated that lodgers had to vacate by 10am and arrive back in the evening no later than 11pm?

As for pubs anyone know what the opening and closing times were? or did it vary? 2am closing sound right to you?

thank you!
      Hi Mr T.

Lets deal with the pubs first.
      There were different rules for different parts of London.
      All businesses which sold intoxicating liquor by retail, and were located within a 4 mile radius of Charing Cross could open at 5:00am, and closed after midnight, at 12:30am., except on Saturday evening when they must close at midnight. On a Sunday they opened between 1:00pm and 3:00pm. Then reopened from 6:00pm until 11:00pm.
      Businesses outside the 4 mile radius but still within London, and in the country operated under different rules.

Lodging Houses could be public or private, and had to be registered with the City. We have the Victoria Home which was private and operated under their own rules from the Common Lodging House.
      The only times that I believe applied to the Common Lodging House was that it had to close for cleaning, typically between 2:00-3:00am until about 4:00-5:00am, but they were flexible on that.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hi Mr T.

All businesses which sold intoxicating liquor by retail, and were located within a 4 mile radius of Charing Cross could open at 5:00am, and closed after midnight, at 12:30am., except on Saturday evening when they must close at midnight. On a Sunday they opened between 1:00pm and 3:00pm. Then reopened from 6:00pm until 11:00pm.
        Businesses outside the 4 mile radius but still within London, and in the country operated under different rules.

Lodging Houses could be public or private, and had to be registered with the City. We have the Victoria Home which was private and operated under their own rules from the Common Lodging House.
        The only times that I believe applied to the Common Lodging House was that it had to close for cleaning, typically between 2:00-3:00am until about 4:00-5:00am, but they were flexible on that.

Thanks Wickerman this is very enlightening!

Comment

Hi Mr T., I forgot to mention details in the first paragraph are to be found in Sir Howard Vincent's Police Code 1889, by Neil Bell & Adam Wood. That was only half of what was available.

Details on the Common Lodging Houses can be obtained from a variety of reports from the 19th century found in the British Newspaper Archive online.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hi Mr T.

Were there any different rules around the docks or the markets? I know that currently some pubs around St Katherine's or smithfields open a lot earlier than normal

Comment

Working...
            X