Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing ones own tour of Whitechapel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doing ones own tour of Whitechapel

    Hi

    I am down on the 20th and was looking at the possibility of doing my own tour. Has anyone ever done this and what routes are the best (and possibly safest ) to do ? is it recommended or am i likely to get it all wrong and miss some of the most important or possibly hidden little sites ?

    any help much appreciated

    Jason

  • #2
    Hi Jason,

    I did it in September 2008. It was nearly an all day project and really wore out my feet, but I included two of the cemeteries where victims are buried plus some of the victims other than the C5. How much you want to include in your tour will determine how easy a go of it you have. I started just after 7 a.m. in front of the Whitechapel tube station and finished up at the City of London cemetery around 4 p.m.

    Make sure you have a good map, and as I was advised by other board members here, you should be safe enough in all areas during daylight as long as you don't go around flashing money or fancy cameras or other gear. At the Whitechapel station you have the Working Lad's institute next door and the Old Royal London Hospital across the street. I got lost almost right away in trying to get to the Polly Nicholls site (which is right behind the station) because you need to go east from the station and then turn left on Brady street, which is almost right away. I missed it because Brady Street wasn't marked and went a few blocks too far to the east, so take care there. That was the only time I really got lost. If you have a working knowledge of where the sites are you should do ok, though you'll find visiting them in chronological order isn't very practical. Do youself a favor and include the Martha Tabram site- Gunthorpe Street is a creepy little passageway and you'll enjoy the Jack the Ripper sign on the side of the White Hart Pub. The Frances Coles site at Swallow Gardens is a short walk from the Elizabeth Stride site though it was extremely loud there when I was there. Seeing how long it takes you to get from the Stride site to the Catherine Eddowes site in Mitre Square is always fun, and the square is a great semi-sheltered spot for some somber contemplation, away from traffic. I got to the "Juwes" graffiti site at around lunch time so it was quite convenient to go in to the Happy Days restaurant there for some fish and chips. The staff there was happy and enthusiastic to talk about the Ripper and their connection to him, though briefly, because they are busy after all. Not so at the Ten Bells pub, where the barman gave me the brushoff when I mentioned it. Standing outside the Ten Bells though, on "Mary's Corner," with Christchurch right across the street, is where I really felt the presence of Mary Kelly, rather than at her actual murder site a few minutes' walk away where all you will see is workmen in the fruit exchange.

    I could go on and on about that day. Any specific questions? Good luck and I hope you have a great time.

    p.s. If you have it or can acquire it, the book "Uncovering Jack the Ripper's London" by Richard Jones and Sean East has an excellent map in it that is perfect for this. That's what I used.
    Last edited by kensei; 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kensei View Post
      Hi Jason,

      I did it in September 2008. It was nearly an all day project and really wore out my feet, but I included two of the cemeteries where victims are buried plus some of the victims other than the C5. How much you want to include in your tour will determine how easy a go of it you have. I started just after 7 a.m. in front of the Whitechapel tube station and finished up at the City of London cemetery around 4 p.m.

      Make sure you have a good map, and as I was advised by other board members here, you should be safe enough in all areas during daylight as long as you don't go around flashing money or fancy cameras or other gear. At the Whitechapel station you have the Working Lad's institute next door and the Old Royal London Hospital across the street. I got lost almost right away in trying to get to the Polly Nicholls site (which is right behind the station) because you need to go east from the station and then turn left on Brady street, which is almost right away. I missed it because Brady Street wasn't marked and went a few blocks too far to the east, so take care there. That was the only time I really got lost. If you have a working knowledge of where the sites are you should do ok, though you'll find visiting them in chronological order isn't very practical. Do youself a favor and include the Martha Tabram site- Gunthorpe Street is a creepy little passageway and you'll enjoy the Jack the Ripper sign on the side of the White Hart Pub. The Frances Coles site at Swallow Gardens is a short walk from the Elizabeth Stride site though it was extremely loud there when I was there. Seeing how long it takes you to get from the Stride site to the Catherine Eddowes site in Mitre Square is always fun, and the square is a great semi-sheltered spot for some somber contemplation, away from traffic. I got to the "Juwes" graffiti site at around lunch time so it was quite convenient to go in to the Happy Days restaurant there for some fish and chips. The staff there was happy and enthusiastic to talk about the Ripper and their connection to him, though briefly, because they are busy after all. Not so at the Ten Bells pub, where the barman gave me the brushoff when I mentioned it. Standing outside the Ten Bells though, on "Mary's Corner," with Christchurch right across the street, is where I really felt the presence of Mary Kelly, rather than at her actual murder site a few minutes' walk away where all you will see is workmen in the fruit exchange.

      I could go on and on about that day. Any specific questions? Good luck and I hope you have a great time.

      p.s. If you have it or can acquire it, the book "Uncovering Jack the Ripper's London" by Richard Jones and Sean East has an excellent map in it that is perfect for this. That's what I used.
      thanks very much Kensai......i have in fact now booked on the ripper tour run by richard jones. Your info is great though because i will probably try and do some of the sites not covered by the tour prior to actually going on the tour at 7pm. Going to take a camera but i wont try and look like a tourist !!

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello, Jason, kensei,

        John J Eddleston's JtR: an Encyclopaedia has detailed instructions of how to do your own Ripper walk. I haven't tried it but it looks pretty idiot proof, which it would need to be if I ever did.

        Best wishes,
        Steve.

        PS Just had a quick look and I note he misses out Berner St. as he doesn't count Long Liz as a Ripper victim.
        Last edited by Steven Russell; 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
          Hello, Jason, kensei,

          John J Eddleston's JtR: an Encyclopaedia has detailed instructions of how to do your own Ripper walk. I haven't tried it but it looks pretty idiot proof, which it would need to be if I ever did.

          Best wishes,
          Steve.

          PS Just had a quick look and I note he misses out Berner St. as he doesn't count Long Liz as a Ripper victim.
          neither do i so i will have a look !! thanks steven

          Comment


          • #6
            doing a tour on tuesday, 4 more sleeps !! so excited !! taking a camera so will post pics next week !!

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks as though you have lots of good advice for your tour, Jason. All I would add is get to Mitre Square as quickly as you can before they start knocking it down. And check the Transport for London website about the status of the Whitechapel tube station. They've been doing some work on it and when I went by a couple of weeks ago, it was closed. (The work also makes it more difficult to get good shots of Durward Street.)

              Comment


              • #8
                cheers Grave......can anyone recommend a good boozer for a pre tour pint ? was thinking the white hart ? something nice and atmospheric to get us in the mood !!

                Comment


                • #9
                  The White Hart is ideal Jason,

                  And go right to the back. The toilets are devine ;-)

                  You may see the odd tour guide in there, like John Bennett. Also reccomend The Bell on Middlesex Street where Coles and Sadler drank, also The Princess Alice in Commercial St/Old Montague St.

                  Monty




                  Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    The White Hart is ideal Jason,

                    And go right to the back. The toilets are devine ;-)

                    You may see the odd tour guide in there, like John Bennett. Also reccomend The Bell on Middlesex Street where Coles and Sadler drank, also The Princess Alice in Commercial St/Old Montague St.

                    Monty
                    cheers monty, will defo try and get to one or all....as a bit of a pisshead, all is more likely !!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And when you're in one of those pubs Jason, just close your eyes for a moment and think back to 1888.

                      Monty




                      Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You might as well include Old Castle Street around the rear of the Whitechapel Baths and Wash-houses, because you'll be passing close to it anyway. (Alice McKenzie murder in what used to be Castle Alley).

                        You probably already know, but don't forget that the site of Bucks Row is now Durward St and Berner Street is renamed Henriques Street.

                        Regards, Bridewell.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins twisting facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as Sherlock Holmes).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                          You might as well include Old Castle Street around the rear of the Whitechapel Baths and Wash-houses, because you'll be passing close to it anyway. (Alice McKenzie murder in what used to be Castle Alley).

                          You probably already know, but don't forget that the site of Bucks Row is now Durward St and Berner Street is renamed Henriques Street.

                          Regards, Bridewell.
                          Here's an interesting little website that might surprise.

                          http://www.routeyou.com/location/wal...king-routes.en

                          best wishes

                          Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙


                          Justice for the 96 = achieved
                          Accountability? ....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Site

                            Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                            Here's an interesting little website that might surprise.

                            http://www.routeyou.com/location/wal...king-routes.en

                            best wishes

                            Phil
                            Hi Phil,

                            Interesting discovery! Covers all the so-called canonicals, McKenzie & Tabram in a 2.5 mile circle. (Bet it would seem longer though if I walked it!).

                            Regards, Bridewell.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins twisting facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as Sherlock Holmes).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                              Hi Phil,

                              Interesting discovery! Covers all the so-called canonicals, McKenzie & Tabram in a 2.5 mile circle. (Bet it would seem longer though if I walked it!).

                              Regards, Bridewell.
                              Hello Colin,

                              Thank you for the reply.

                              Yes, I spent a good few hours looking over the routes highlighted in that thread. Most interesting to my mind. Not just the JTR related one.

                              I have the same feeling I'd be wandering around all sorts of places if I walked it in that manner too!

                              best wishes

                              Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙


                              Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X