Last survivor of the case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last survivor of the case

Just wondering who was the last survivor of the JTR case ? (no not the victims) I mean anyone associated with the case during the time and who is mentioned by name in records/archives ?
    We're standing alone inside the night
    listen the wind is calling
    to the dangerzone beyond the light
    and suddenly we are falling
    But there ain't no stopping us now
    I don't know if I'll be back tonight
    It's just a machine inside of my head
    and now all the wheels are turning
    I'll think of the words we never said
    and deep in my heart it's burning
    But there is no stopping it now
    we're gonna make it somehow
    you wait tonight
    and we're waiting for the light
    Into the fire we will run
    into the sound of distant drums
    when you're walking alone in a dream
    on a highway to nowhere
    nowhere tonight

Frederick Wensley (later MET Chief Constable) was a PC at the time of the murders. He lived until 1949. There was also a woman who acted as a decoy (can't recall her name) who lived until the late 1950s.

Comment

Damn, you got me beat. Walter Dew (died 1947) was the last that I had found when doing a cursory search recently for the last survivor. I hadn't checked ALL the police personnel, witnesses or suspects, though.

How about some of the incidentals, like the lodgers at Hanbury St., for example? Several were children at the time, and that could potentially get you to the 1960s or even the '70s.

(Wouldn't it be a giggle, if the last survivor was Mr. Diddles?)

Hey, I just thought- one of the guests on a podcast suggested Edgar Rice Burroughs as a suspect- he died in 1955!
      Last edited by C. F. Leon; 06-14-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

It’s possible that someone alive today has spoken to someone who was at or near one of the murder sites when the murders happened.

Comment

So we're playing "Six Degrees of Jack the Ripper"? Does it have to be personal connections? Because Paul Begg and several other visitors to this site had contact with Joseph Gorman/Sickert. Now, Alice Crook was his mother, which he claimed was the child of Ripper suspect Prince Eddie and he at least CLAIMED a biological relationship with Walter Sickert. And even though WS was probably not the Ripper, he CERTAINLY was contemporous and had an interest with the Whitechapel Murders, visiting some of the sites shortly after the events.

So we have 3 degrees of separation:

1 Walter Sickert- contemporous, visited sites
          2 Joseph Gorman/Sickert- he claimed WS was his father. Alice Crook was his mother for another connection a degree removed.
          3 Paul Begg & others- corresponded & met JS
          and any of us who have talked to any of those people makes 4 degrees.

Another line might be whoever was the writer that interviewed Water Dew late in life. If that was D. Farson or someone who one of our visitors knew...
          Last edited by C. F. Leon; 06-15-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
            So we're playing "Six Degrees of Jack the Ripper"? Does it have to be personal connections? Because Paul Begg and several other visitors to this site had contact with Joseph Gorman/Sickert. Now, Alice Crook was his mother, which he claimed was the child of Ripper suspect Prince Eddie and he at least CLAIMED a biological relationship with Walter Sickert. And even though WS was probably not the Ripper, he CERTAINLY was contemporous and had an interest with the Whitechapel Murders, visiting some of the sites shortly after the events.

So we have 3 degrees of separation:

1 Walter Sickert- contemporous, visited sites
            2 Joseph Gorman/Sickert- he claimed WS was his father. Alice Crook was his mother for another connection a degree removed.
            3 Paul Begg & others- corresponded & met JS
            and any of us who have talked to any of those people makes 4 degrees.

Another line might be whoever was the writer that interviewed Water Dew late in life. If that was D. Farson or someone who one of our visitors knew...
            I had in mind my maternal grandfather, who lived in George Yard Buildings between March, 1888 and April, 1890 when his father died. By 1891 his widowed mother had moved the family to nearby Angel Alley.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Here ya go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AmeliaLewis.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	736343

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thank you Simon.

Comment

Working...
                X