The Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Police

Apologies up front if this is a well trodden road, but has there been any in depth discussions of the Police during the years of our interest?
    I was wondering how honest they were, and I mean the Chief Inspectors and Detectives. I have read that the CID was formed in 1878 after a fraud scandal involving senior detectives.
    I think this question could be important because if they were not all straight up and honest, then why did they not "fit someone up" when the heat got very warm? The obvious answer is because if they had and there was another killing, they would be exposed. But if they thought they knew for sure who the Ripper was, then this threat would not be in the equation. Many authors and interested parties seem to be saying that the police knew who the killer was, but for what ever reason did not identify him. But were the police of that time any more honest than those of London in the 1970's? (When massive police corruption was exposed in the Vice Squads).This would then lend to the idea that they did not know who he was, although they all had a favourite, which I believe they mention in their biographies, but I believe the idea that the police knew who the killer was is a false trail and one we should steer clear of.

I suggest you start by reading Evans and Rumbelow's excellent study: "Jack the Ripper: Scotland yard Investigates."

There are also many helpful and well-informed threads on Casebook that I suggest you persuse.

Phil H

Comment

This may make interesting reading for you Miakaal,

House of Commons questions -

METROPOLITAN POLICE—ARREST OF FRIEDRICH SCHUMACHER.

HC Deb 12 November 1888 vol 330 c888888

§MR. BRADLAUGH(Northampton)
      asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department, Whether he can state by whom, and on what charge, Friedrich Schumacher was arrested, on the 13th of September last, at Leman Street, East, Police Station; whether complaints have reached him that, after being arrested and locked up in a cell, a written paper, and, if so, to what tenor, was presented for signature to the said Friedrich Schumacher, and that he was told that he would be released if he signed the paper, and on his signing the paper was thereupon released; whether the charge against the said Friedrich Schumacher was duly entered in the charge-sheet of the day, and submitted to the magistrate in ordinary course; if so, what was the magistrate's decision thereon; and, if not, what reason has been given; and, whether a private inquiry into this case was conducted at Scotland Yard, and by whom; if so, on what date, and what, if any, action has since been taken in the matter?

§THE SECRETARY OF STATE (Mr. MATTHEWS)(Birmingham, E.)
      I am informed by the Commissioner of Police that Schumacher was arrested by an Inspector, and charged with being a suspected person, found on the premises of the local Inspector at Leman Street Police Station. I have received no complaint on the matter; but am informed that the Inspector, in consequence of what Schumacher said, removed him to the Inspector's office, where he made a statement, which was reduced to writing, in which he satisfactorily explained the circumstances which led to his being found on the promises. He was not told that if he signed the statement he would be released; but he did so voluntarily, and was released. The charge had been entered on the sheet in the usual way; but was not submitted to the magistrate. The matter was inquired into at Scotland Yard on the 8th instant by the Assistant Commissioner and the Chief Constable; and the Inspector was reprimanded for the irregularities of his conduct, and a sergeant who had not acted properly in this matter has been reduced in rank.

Also, news report -

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
      TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 1888

Page 4

IMPERIAL PARLIAMENT.
      HOUSE OF COMMONS.
      MONDAY.
      AN EAST-END ARREST.

Mr. MATTHEWS informed Mr. Bradlaugh that Friedrich Schumacher was arrested on Sept. 13, at Leman-street Police-station, as a suspected person. He gave an explanation and voluntarily signed a paper, after which he was released. An inquiry had been held at Scotland-yard into the circumstances of the arrest, with the result that an inspector had been reprimanded and a sergeant reduced in rank.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks

I shall definately look up this idea, I see that there have been cases where false statements has led to charges, and the consequences. So there was a possibility that the killer could have been set up, but it would need top level approval by the look of it. The "mad house" was a good way to dispose of the unwanted too. I'm not convinced the police knew for certain who JtR was, so it's down to us!!

Comment

Working...
        X