Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of Jack's infamy?

Ladies and Gents,

Would be interested to hear people's opinions on when it would be considered to have been the height of Jack's infamy?

I would say between 2000 and 2005. There was an explosion of interest - many books, articles and programs. Or did you mean during the crimes?

Comment

Infamy? Infamy?........
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

They've all got it in for me.

I would say somewhere between 1959 and 1987. After that, it all started to go downhill.
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Like above I'm not sure if it means at the time or in last hundred years.

I've often pointed out that we view Mary Kelly's murder as the end of the autumn of terror, wheras at the time it was the actual height of it. Obviously the people at the time had no way of knowing that that was the end, if indeed it was. As far as they were concerned Jack was now killing people in their own home, in their own bed and doing the most diabolical things to them so I would say the infamy height for Jack would have been in the weeks after November 9th 1888.

Regarding after that, I would say the height must have come around the 100th anniversary 1987 to 1988. That's when most books seem to have come out, most documentaries and most interest in the case happened.

regards

tecs
          If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Thanks Tecs, yes perhaps I should have worded my thread better. I meant during the time.

Post Mary Kelly was what I was thinking to, as like you say at the time no on knew she was the last.........

Hadn’t considered your points re murdering people in their own homes! That must have terrified people!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tecs View Post

Regarding after that, I would say the height must have come around the 100th anniversary 1987 to 1988. That's when most books seem to have come out, most documentaries and most interest in the case happened.

regards

tecs
              I'd agree. Also, coupled with the centenary of the Maybrick murder in 1989 which was extensively covered in local newspapers, and on local news programmes, I'd say it provided the light bulb moment for a certain Mr Barrat.

Comment

The height of Jack's infamy was probably about 5'11"

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                  The height of Jack's infamy was probably about 5'11"
                  ... is that with or without boots?
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I'd maybe go for just after the murder of Annie Chapman. At that point, people knew there was a maniac out there, targeting and now brutally mutilating. At this time, the public would be expecting the next attack. Any idea of Polly being a horrific one off was gone.
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

... is that with or without boots?
                      With boots, probably, but they were down-at-heel.

It depends more on what hat he was wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                        Ladies and Gents,

Would be interested to hear people's opinions on when it would be considered to have been the height of Jack's infamy?

The name Jack the Ripper was created in September by some letters, the start of the crimes by someone that warranted that moniker was Annie Chapmans murder. But Pollys murder was different enough, and savage enough, to be considered the real birth of the JTR phantom.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                          I'd maybe go for just after the murder of Annie Chapman. At that point, people knew there was a maniac out there, targeting and now brutally mutilating. At this time, the public would be expecting the next attack. Any idea of Polly being a horrific one off was gone.
                          That is certainly the time when they started swamping the area with additional officers.

Comment

Working...
                          X