---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Good stuff! Keep up the good work.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Really good Richard.
        I am hoping I can use alot of this in the new book( at least 18 months off)

Its very impressive.

Steve

Comment

Nice work sir

Comment

Brilliant work !

Comment

These are fantastic!

They're really atmospheric.

Great work!

Comment

Awesome Richard. You get a real feeling from those, hardly the environment for outdoor surgery.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Many thanks for the kind comments.
                  I am pleased with progress so far and it does look very good in VR. I realise that some factors are not 'authentic' 1888 in this scene - for instance, the signage (lettering) on the Kearley & Tonge warehouse(s) - Not sure about William's & Co. What I have done, is attempt to reimagine the square as I see it in my mind's eye which, of course, has been influenced by the photos of Mitre Square that we are so familiar with.
                  Also, I know that the square itself was on an incline and not '3D level' like my cobbles and pavements are. I will fix this once the whole scene is complete and I (we) have ironed out any inaccuracies (Just realised that I've used lamp-posts on Mitre street, when they were, in fact, wall fixed lamps (so that has to be changed)!

Also, the width of St James' passage is far wider than I imagined it to be:

But on reviewing the maps I see that it must have been about 4.5 feet wide (why else have two bollards?) than the 3ft width I thought it was!

There's lots to do!

By the way, that link I posted above is broke! Here's the new link:

Thanks
                  JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                  JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations

Comment

Excellent
                    Wonderfully atmospheric
                    You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

This almost looks worth getting seasick for. Top work!

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                        Many thanks for the kind comments.
                        I am pleased with progress so far and it does look very good in VR. I realise that some factors are not 'authentic' 1888 in this scene - for instance, the signage (lettering) on the Kearley & Tonge warehouse(s) - Not sure about William's & Co. What I have done, is attempt to reimagine the square as I see it in my mind's eye which, of course, has been influenced by the photos of Mitre Square that we are so familiar with.
                        Also, I know that the square itself was on an incline and not '3D level' like my cobbles and pavements are. I will fix this once the whole scene is complete and I (we) have ironed out any inaccuracies (Just realised that I've used lamp-posts on Mitre street, when they were, in fact, wall fixed lamps (so that has to be changed)!

Also, the width of St James' passage is far wider than I imagined it to be:

But on reviewing the maps I see that it must have been about 4.5 feet wide (why else have two bollards?) than the 3ft width I thought it was!

There's lots to do!

By the way, that link I posted above is broke! Here's the new link:

Thanks
                        Excellent images but might I suggest some minor tweaking

The lamp across from the murder spot was not working correctly so would have limited light output, and would not have illuminated all that you have in the image

Victorian gas lamps also had a limited light output nothing more than illuminating a small area around the base of the lamp, not a wide beam of light outwards

Comment

Trevor
                          the images of the murder site are lit up due to the bullseye lantern I was shining on the body in situ. Otherwise the corner is indeed almost pitch dark. The single lamp post and the wall mounted gas lamps only llluminate a small area. I was actually worried that the square was too dark to be able to see much at all. Which is why I added the bullseye lanterns for the night time. The lighting should be pretty accurate as the system used realistic environmental lighting and accurate skybox hdri lighting to provide realistic lighting conditions..
                          Rest assured... Mitre square in VR is as dark as it was in real life.
                          JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                          JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                            Trevor
                            the images of the murder site are lit up due to the bullseye lantern I was shining on the body in situ. Otherwise the corner is indeed almost pitch dark. The single lamp post and the wall mounted gas lamps only llluminate a small area. I was actually worried that the square was too dark to be able to see much at all. Which is why I added the bullseye lanterns for the night time. The lighting should be pretty accurate as the system used realistic environmental lighting and accurate skybox hdri lighting to provide realistic lighting conditions..
                            Rest assured... Mitre square in VR is as dark as it was in real life.
                            Richard,I don't know what you do in life to earn your crust, but it should involve your skills at rendering. Keep it up, what you've done is already amazing. Where do you go from here?
                            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Interesting. Having been around the area a couple of times recently it helps to visualise it as it was much better.

Would it be possible to extend it out to also show Mitre Street?

Comment

Working...
                              X