No announcement yet.

Walter Benthall - Anyone Heard of Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Benthall - Anyone Heard of Him?

When Claire & I were at the LMA yesterday, looking through hospital records, I noticed an entry for a slaughterman named Walter Benthall, a patient at Guy's in 1888. Described as 48, but other records suggest he was only 40. I noticed him because he was one of the few Whitechapel residents in the register (41, Commercial Street), was treated for haematomesis (vomiting blood) & cirrhosis of the liver (so probably alcoholic). I don't suppose he was the only alcoholic slaughterman in Whitechapel, but he was discharged on 7th August 1888. I'm guessing this was later in the day than the Tabram murder, but I thought the coincidence noteworthy.
    Has anyone else heard anything of this man? He looks to have been born in 1847 in Halstead, Essex & married a Frances Hosier from Chislehurst. He was in the Victoria Home from the 1891 census onwards & died in 1912 in Whitechapel. I can't find any trace of his wife after 1881 - no death, no census entry for 1891. In 1891 Bentall's marital status is "S" (Single); in 1901 he's "Widower".

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Hi Colin

I can't say I've ever heard of him. I think I have found Frances living in Tilehurst, Berks 1891 - 1911. In 1891 she has six children. She describes herself as married until 1911 when she lists herself as widowed. Perhaps her husband's drinking was too much for her, and having lost touch with each other they each assumed the other was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Hi Colin

I can't say I've ever heard of him. I think I have found Frances living in Tilehurst, Berks 1891 - 1911. In 1891 she has six children. She describes herself as married until 1911 when she lists herself as widowed. Perhaps her husband's drinking was too much for her, and having lost touch with each other they each assumed the other was dead.
      Hi Robert,

I'm sure you're right, having looked at it again, as his daughter, Edith Lizzie, married in Berkshire too. Thanks for taking the time to have a look! Walter must have been in a bad way in 1888 because he was in hospital for over a month (from 3rd July). I wonder if Frances and the children took the opportunity presented by his hospitalisation to make good their escape?

Best Wishes, Bridewell.
      Last edited by Bridewell; 08-11-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Colin

He seems to have held out for another 24 years, but maybe they'd just had enough.

Comment

The Victoria Home

I've just realised that Benthall's address (41, Commercial Street) was in fact the Victoria Home. Given that he had received hospital treatment for over a month for Haematomesis & Cirrhosis of the Liver, it does make me wonder how strictly the supposedly rigid ban on intoxicated persons was enforced:

The rules of Victoria House, of which printed copies are hung up in the kitchen, are as follows:
          "(1) No person in a state of intoxication will on any account be admitted.
          "(2) No swearing or obscene language will be tolerated. Order and decorum are insisted on in the kitchen; silence in the bedrooms.
          "(3) No person will be admitted after one o'clock a.m. without a special pass.
          "(4) Any lodger interfering with the comfort of others is at once ejected.
          "(5) Lodgers who are fortunate enough to possess extra clothing or other personal effects, can leave them in charge of the deputy, who will give a receipt for the same.
          "(6) Baths, warm or cold, can be had in the house. For a warm bath, a charge of one penny is made."
          Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Yes, interesting. Of course, we don't know that he continued his drinking. If he did - and on a regular basis - I doubt if he'd have lasted another 24 years.
            Who knows, maybe he signed the pledge and became a Sally Army member. I suppose the continued separation from his family seems a bad sign, but it's impossible now to know the circs behind it.

Comment

The Victoria Home

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Yes, interesting. Of course, we don't know that he continued his drinking. If he did - and on a regular basis - I doubt if he'd have lasted another 24 years.
              Who knows, maybe he signed the pledge and became a Sally Army member. I suppose the continued separation from his family seems a bad sign, but it's impossible now to know the circs behind it.
              There is some interesting detail on the Victoria Home posted last year (on another thread) by Lechmere:

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Regards, Bridewell

Comment

Working...
              X