"The Jack the Ripper Walk of Terror"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Jack the Ripper Walk of Terror"

A new ripper attraction has just opened in Brighton a very interesting new attraction https://jack-the-ripper.co.uk/

Also forms part of two other interesting attractions https://www.phileasfoggsworldofadventures.co.uk/

I think a Jack the Ripper theme park would be really cool

Comment

Will there ever be a Fred West attraction setup?
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
      JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
      ---------------------------------------------------
      JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
      ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        A new ripper attraction has just opened in Brighton a very interesting new attraction https://jack-the-ripper.co.uk/

Also forms part of two other interesting attractions https://www.phileasfoggsworldofadventures.co.uk/

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
        Now what's interesting (to me, at least), is that when I look at the front page for Phileas Fogg's website, I see people in modern dress playing some sort of game (which apparently involves brandishing modern dimpled golf balls) against a set dressed with American flags and bunting, not at all what I'd associate with Phileas Fogg. Do other people get this same page, or is it because I'm coming from the US?
        - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
          I doubt it. Very tawdry sort of murderer. Fred West doesn't evoke the intrigue and fascination of a period in history like the Ripper does. Now a Manson Family immersive attraction... I could imagine that making money.
          - Ginger

Comment

I find Jack the Ripper themed attractions utterly distasteful.

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post
              I find Jack the Ripper themed attractions utterly distasteful.
              This is much the point of such attractions.
              - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

This is much the point of such attractions.
                I'm not sure the point is to be distasteful. The point is rather obviously, to make money from tourists. Although they have the effect (and even seem to aim for the effect) of making 'Jack the Ripper' into a boogeyman along the lines of a fictional Frankenstein or Dracula, and so almost makes the character into a sort of anti-hero.

Treating appalling violence against women as entertainment should be frowned upon a lot more than it seems to be.

I just about give the Ripper Walks around Spitalfields a pass, just because the history and the context is interesting and relevant to the area. But a theme park attraction in Brighton, strikes me as something of a different and more cynical character.

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post

I'm not sure the point is to be distasteful. The point is rather obviously, to make money from tourists. Although they have the effect (and even seem to aim for the effect) of making 'Jack the Ripper' into a boogeyman along the lines of a fictional Frankenstein or Dracula, and so almost makes the character into a sort of anti-hero.
                  Well, yes, the ultimate point is to make money. No argument there. I spoke poorly.

Why will it make money, though? What will motivate people to attend? I think the motivation that drives attendance is quite similar to 'graveyard humour'. People are trying to gain a sense of ascendency over something that's disturbing or frightening by treating it in a disrespectful or tasteless manner. That does involve turning the Ripper into a sort of caricature, like a B movie monster. It's because the audience is quite aware that the Ripper was, in reality, a deranged murderer of the sort that we fear in our modern lives, and because he is safely in the past and unable to do further harm, that he becomes a safe figure to denature, and, by so doing, gain some sort of emotional mastery over something one fears.
                  Last edited by Ginger; 07-22-2019, 04:09 AM. Reason: Afterthought
                  - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

Now what's interesting (to me, at least), is that when I look at the front page for Phileas Fogg's website, I see people in modern dress playing some sort of game (which apparently involves brandishing modern dimpled golf balls) against a set dressed with American flags and bunting, not at all what I'd associate with Phileas Fogg. Do other people get this same page, or is it because I'm coming from the US?
                    Can't see the balls, but do see the bunting. Says they are authentic games from the 1900s for people to try out. Looks like a Edwardian version of Dave and Buster's, frankly.
                    I do see the Walk of Terror advertisement down at the bottom, though.
                    Also in USA.
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                      I think there is one at my local B&Q...

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post

I think there is one at my local B&Q...
                        Bad taste, but clever
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                        X