Wikipedia JTR Reference Count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wikipedia JTR Reference Count

I am curious, where does Wikipedia gets its Jack the Ripper information from?

Wikipedia: Jack the Ripper

Reference Count:

Rumbelow, Donald, 47 references, includes two publications, one with Evans (27) and one solo (20).

Begg, Paul, 26 references, includes two works, both solo.

Cook, Andrew, 22 references, includes one work.

Fido, Martin, 12 references, includes one work.

Marriott, Trevor, 19 references, includes one work.

Evans, Stewart, 71 references, includes three works, two jointly with Skinner, Keith (44) and one with Rumbelow (27).

Sugden, Phillip, 5 references (includes one work).

Works most commonly referenced: Ultimate Jack the Ripper Source Book, Evans and Skinner, (27); Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History, Begg, (26); Jack the Ripper, Cook, (22).

Keith Skinner's references are included in his two joint efforts with Stewart Evans (44)

Numbers may be a bit off, but they are close; there isn't much effort to use the newspapers or any primary sources for that matter.

Well as many Wiki entries can be edited by anyone.....
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Well as many Wiki entries can be edited by anyone.....
      Yes! It's that availability to common folk, which makes it interesting (at least to me). Which works dominate the hoi polloi's attention? I wonder if any of the better educated (on the subject of the Ripper) from this board, have contributed?

I thought that since the Ripper has such a dedicated following there would be far more use of primary sources than appeared. (Although I suspect that the over use of The Ultimate . . . may have been a convenient way to cite the contemporaneous sources.)

Furthermore, with respect to Ripper history we have an obligation to prank the page, continuously, until Wiki is forced to either open the page with a disclaimer, or is forced to close the page off to the public altogether, only then can we truly say that Wikipedia's Jack the Ripper web page has joined the Ripper Universe. It needs to stand out; be special.

Right now it is just another Wiki page being allowed to function inside the rules; that is disrespectful to all things Ripper.

Comment

At the top there's a tab to click on - View history
        It lists the most recent changes/additions and names of the people who made the changes/additions. Not real names, of course.
        There's also a padlock at the top which means it's semi-protected. If you click on the padlock you'll see an expanation for why it's semi-protected.
        These are not clues, Fred.
        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
        We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
          At the top there's a tab to click on - View history
          It lists the most recent changes/additions and names of the people who made the changes/additions. Not real names, of course.
          There's also a padlock at the top which means it's semi-protected. If you click on the padlock you'll see an expanation for why it's semi-protected.
          Thank you for the heads up. At least that's something!

Comment

Working...
          X