Anatomical venus, Florentine venus, slashed beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomical venus, Florentine venus, slashed beauty

Someone mentioned these wax models in another thread, saying they looked a lot like Mary Jane Kelly when she was found.
    After a quick search of the web I can only agree.

"In the 19th century, despite the best efforts of body snatchers, the demand from medical schools for fresh cadavers far outstripped the supply. One solution to this gruesome problem came in the form of lifelike wax models. These models often took the form of alluring female figures that could be stripped and split into different sections. Other models were more macabre, showing the body ravaged by 'social diseases' such as venereal disease, tuberculosis and alcohol and drug addiction.

With their capacity to titillate as well as educate, anatomical models became sought-after curiosities, displayed not only in dissecting rooms but also in sideshows and the curiosity cabinets of wealthy Victorian gentlemen. For a small admission fee, visitors seeking an unusual afternoon's entertainment could visit displays of these strange dolls in London, Paris, Brussels and Barcelona."

This description suddenly makes "Jack" look much less out of the ordinary. It rather seems he just took the mentioned "afternoon's entertainment" a step further.

Lots of photos: http://marinni.livejournal.com/258692.html

It is interesting most of those wax models were females!

The Victorians certainly had a thing for the macabre. I've read somewhere they visited mortuaries and gazed at the bodies out of sheer curiousity. The people thronging in front of the workhouse sheds asking to be let in, claiming they could identify "Jack's" victims - but actually seeking a thrill - where no exceptions.

Let's also not forget the waxwork shows displaying "Jack's" victims.

If you love children, you should NOT browse YouTube for "Victorian post mortem photography", because that will either make you weep or scare the s*** out of you.

Some of the most famous wax models were made by Clemente Susini in the late 1700s. He clearly had a Ripperesque streak. He even named them "Slashed Beauies".

"...they are also cyphers, beckoning towards abandoned paths to forgotten – and perhaps forbidden – knowledge, evoking a lost past when God and science, medicine and beauty, body and soul, naturalia and artificialia, anatomy and metaphysics resided side by side ..."
    http://www.preservedproject.co.uk/od...tomical-venus/ (Warning: Looks like Mary Jane Kelly in colour!)

This one is a bit of a thread derailer, but it must be shared: http://iheartguts.com/

They sell gut-shaped plushies, including uteri (and testicles). Very kawaii.

K-453,

These anatomical museums -- and the fact that one such museum was located in Whitechapel during the Ripper's Reign of Terror -- was featured in the fine article "Tumblety's Anatomical Collection Reconsidered" by Michael Hawley that appeared recently in New Independent Review No. 3, back issues of which are still available.

Don Souden.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Just out of curiosity, where in Whitechapel was this museum situated?

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
        Just out of curiosity, where in Whitechapel was this museum situated?

Wolf.
        Hi Wolf,

Any chance you could wait? I have an article coming out about it. Some new stuff...and the article has nothing to do with Dr. T.

Sincerely,

Mike
        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Fascinating stuff, K-453! Really gets the juices flowing. Apparently Peter Sutcliffe used to like to visit a rather grizzly waxworks exhibition, in Blackpool I believe.
          Cheers!
          Harry
          aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry the Hawker View Post
            Fascinating stuff, K-453! Really gets the juices flowing. Apparently Peter Sutcliffe used to like to visit a rather grizzly waxworks exhibition, in Blackpool I believe.
            Cheers!
            Harry
            I don't know a lot about the Yorkshire Ripper, but this led me to read a little on him. V-neck sweater worn under his trousers, quite inventive a guy. So he went to these exhibitions, fascinating. Of course I imagine the motives of Sutcliffe have been studied in an effort to understand JTR a little, like to read more about that aspect.

Wonder if the Whitechapel murderer had a chance to visit any of these shows? Hollywood's got nuthin' on Victorian England.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
              I don't know a lot about the Yorkshire Ripper, but this led me to read a little on him. V-neck sweater worn under his trousers, quite inventive a guy. So he went to these exhibitions, fascinating. Of course I imagine the motives of Sutcliffe have been studied in an effort to understand JTR a little, like to read more about that aspect.

Wonder if the Whitechapel murderer had a chance to visit any of these shows? Hollywood's got nuthin' on Victorian England.
              Hi Beowulf,

I didn't know jack about Peter S. for a long time - the more I learned about him, the more I believe there are some interesting parallels and lessons of relevance to JtR. I can thoroughly recommend the books 'Somebody's Husband, Somebody's Son' by Gordon Burn and 'Wicked Beyond Belief' by Michael Bilton for a pretty in-depth look at Sutcliffe.

Cheers!
              Harry
              aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post

If he did and they intrigued his curiosity, perhaps Mary Kelly was the end because he had seen everything there was to see and so he was satisfied.

Would that make any kind of sense?

Comment

Hi all,

The wax museum in question most likely did not have an Anatomical Venus, which is the subject of my next article I believe coming out in the fall. The prosecution of Kahn’s anatomical museum in London in 1873 effectively ended the Anatomical Venus display, although the Liverpool anatomical museum did sell its displays to Tussaud’s West End Wax Museum around 1873. Tussaud’s museum continued for other reasons. Anatomical Venus displays DID continue in New York City, though, until January 1888. Isn’t it interesting that this is the same year of the Whitechapel murders?

Sincerely,

Mike
                  Last edited by mklhawley; 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                    Hi all,

The wax museum in question most likely did not have an Anatomical Venus, which is the subject of my next article I believe coming out in the fall. The prosecution of Kahn’s anatomical museum in London in 1873 effectively ended the Anatomical Venus display, although the Liverpool anatomical museum did sell its displays to Tussaud’s West End Wax Museum around 1873. Tussaud’s museum continued for other reasons. Anatomical Venus displays DID continue in New York City, though, until January 1888. Isn’t it interesting that this is the same year of the Whitechapel murders?

Sincerely,

Mike
                    So, are you saying that an East End bloke would not have any way of seeing a Anatomical Venus?

thanks,

curious

Comment

Forum for discussion about how Jack could have done it, why Jack might have done it and the psychological factors that are involved in serial killers. Also the forum for profiling discussions.
                      Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                        So, are you saying that an East End bloke would not have any way of seeing a Anatomical Venus?

thanks,

curious
                        Hi Curious,

I'm not so sure it was an East End bloke. It was only England that enforced the anatomical museum ban in the 1870's. The anatomical venus did not begin in England. Besides, if it was an East Ender, it was only 15 years before this that the anatomical museum craze was all over England. I'm sure there was still lots of literature available.

The four anatomical museums in New York City were destroyed by law enforcement in January 1888, yet one eventually opened its doors back up. Anatomical museums stayed popular in the U.S. until the early twentieth century.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Very interesting Hunter.

Comment

Thanks, Hunter,
                            I suspect that I never found that reply as I don't recall seeing it before.

quoting Hunter's reply: "This is not to say that such exhibits vanished from the UK. They had to go underground and were much smaller so they could stay ahead of the authorities. Side shows and herbal remedy peddlers would display wax figures of a 'suggestive' character to draw a crowd. I believe Mike's article mentions Dr. Frederick Treves visiting one of these exibits in Whitechapel Rd."

But it is still possible our fella did see one of these figures, right? Either in Whitechapel or even in New York, if you opt for an American being the murderer?

Is that what you are suggesting, Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                              Besides, if it was an East Ender, it was only 15 years before this that the anatomical museum craze was all over England. I'm sure there was still lots of literature available.
                              And if that East Ender was 30 in 1888, he could have been to an anatomical museum at a tender and impressible age.

Comment

Working...
                              X