No announcement yet.

The London Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe there were any contemporary newspaper articles that spoke of Merrick in connections to the murders. Sir Frederick Treves, I recall, wrote a scientific paper on Merrick's condition for a medical journal.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

But how and when was Merrick connected to the murders? Was it just some temporary rumour, or one that came up later?
      thanks,
      Lukas
      " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Luke111 View Post
        But how and when was Merrick connected to the murders? Was it just some temporary rumour, or one that came up later?
        thanks,
        Lukas
        Hello Lukas,

It might have been a local rumour at the time of the murders as many of the residents of Whitechapel would have actually seen Merrick in all his 'horribleness' at the penny gaff at 259 Whitechapel Road (which was a vacant greengrocer's shop) where he was 'exhibited', the price of admission being tuppence (2d). In November 1884 Merrick was 'discovered' there by Dr. Frederick Treves, who became his benefactor and arranged for him to live at the London Hospital, where he still lived at the time of the JTR murders.

This information about Merrick I found in 'East End 1888' by William J. Fishman. Mr. Fishman makes no mention of Merrick being connected to the murders.

Carol

Comment

Working...
        X