Click image for larger version

Name:	Pennies for Your Thoughts Front Cover 10-March-2019.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	703061Pennies for Your Thoughts:
    Coins, and Their Purchasing Power
    in the Streets of Victorian Whitechapel
    By William E. Hart

For those fascinated by the mysteries of, "The Autumn of Terror," and the "Jack the Ripper" murders.

This 51-page document, which is now freely available for downloading by anyone interested in Victorian Life in the East End of London, grew, little by little, from my initial plan of a very simple list of Farthing, Half Penny and Penny items available to the inhabitants of Whitechapel in and around 1888, into a far more extensive, two-part list; the first part organized by prices, and the second part, listing everything, fully organized alphabetically for ease in finding items for future reference.

Most of the official online information collected on the price of goods in Victorian London, relates to household weekly or annual expenditures; and has very little to do with the products, services, and entertainment purchased, and the prices paid, by those living “on the street,” or sleeping in Doss Houses; so I had to search wherever I could for any mention of the prices paid for individual items.

I hope the information I have collected in this document will give everyone a much better understanding of Life on the streets in Victorian Whitechapel; and that it will lead to new discussions, documents, publications and theories!

This is intended to be a living document, so, all additions and corrections are welcome. Please send your notes to me at willhart*@*roadrunner*.*com without the asterisks; and I will update this for future releases.

Pennies for Your Thoughts 10-March-2019:

Pennies for Your Thoughts Front Cover 10-March-2019 458kb

==============================

"Pennies for Your Thoughts: The Poster," a companion piece to the 51-page "Pennies for Your Thoughts" document, is also still available for downloading at:

This Conversation Starter 24" x 36" Poster is 27.1mb, and too large to pass around by email.

I made it 7200 x 10800 pixels for printing a 24" x 36" poster at 300 d.p.i..

If you live near a Costco, they will print a beautiful copy for you for under $13.00, including tax.

The "Thumbnail" I'm including with this message (if possible), or linking below, is 1080 x 1620 pixels; and just enough to give you an idea of how the actual poster will look.

Hang one of these posters anywhere you'd like to start a conversation about "The Autumn of Terror," and the questions will begin.

Please Note: The poster photo that I have attached to this post is nothing more than a low-resolution thumbnail. To see the real poster, in full resolution, please click on the following link:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pennies for Your Thoughts Poster Thumbnail 5a.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	703062

Oh, wonderful! Thank you!
    - Ginger

Comment

I'll echo that! Well done for putting that together, it must have cost you a pretty penny in time and effort to compile. Thanks!

Having said that, my free document only had 49 pages, so I feel ever so slightly short-changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        Having said that, my free document only had 49 pages, so I feel ever so slightly short-changed.
        Luckily, with the help of Will's paper, you can now convert your short change into the right currency
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          I'll echo that! Well done for putting that together, it must have cost you a pretty penny in time and effort to compile. Thanks!

Thank You Joshua.

And, yes, it did indeed take a lot of my time, at the expense of house-repair time, in my retirement years... Oh, the "Honey-Do's" I could have done for my wife during all of that time... At least, that's what she tells me!

For legal reasons, I had to include the Cover, and blank Inside-Cover (needed to make the document print properly for those that want a hard-copy) in the page count; making it 51 pages in total... And, you really didn't want a page number on the front cover, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            Oh, wonderful! Thank you!
            Ginger,

You are very welcome!

Will

Comment

Working...
            X