Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might An Amnesty Lead To The Recovery of Some Documents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might An Amnesty Lead To The Recovery of Some Documents?

I hope this is the appropriate place for this particular thread. It doesn't seem to fit into any of the other categories:

Periodically the police hold gun and/or knife amnesties, whereby such weapons can be surrendered anonymously with (unless there is a proven link to criminality) no questions asked.

It seems quite clear that, over the last century or so, a significant number of documents have disappeared from the files, presumably removed, at least in some cases, by trophy-hunters and/or selfish so-called researchers. We don't know where these documents are now, or even if they are still in existence, but some of them may be.

Do Casebook members think there would be any mileage in pushing for such an amnesty in respect of papers missing from the Whitechapel Murder files? If so, what would would be the best way of getting the wheels in motion?

I'm sure the usual crackpots would introduce spurious forgeries but these would probably be fairly easy to spot at this late date. It looks like a no-lose gamble to me, but is it a practical proposition?

I'd hate to think that there was someone out there with significant material which they might be thinking of throwing away because they cannot return it without the risk of prosecution.

Regards, Bridewell
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

opinion

Hello Bridewell. This is an excellent question. But in my humble opinion it may be redundant to offer such.

So far as is known, when other documents were returned, there were no proceedings against anyone. So, too, now if documents were returned, I don't see any problems cropping up for those who engage in such civic behaviours.

I think you already see the biggest obstacle when you observe:

"I'm sure the usual crackpots would introduce spurious forgeries but these would probably be fairly easy to spot at this late date."

And even though they would be easy to spot, those there are in the ripper community who would insist they were genuine and that those who believe otherwise are the crackpots.

If there were important documents still out there, yes, it would be lovely if they came back; BUT, who needs further controversies?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I was not previously aware that there had been no prosecutions in respect of past returns. That said, there remains the possibility, I think, that the holders of any such documents might fear prosecution. 'm working on the assumption that the most likely perpetrators (because they had the best access) would have been serving police officers.

As for the crackpots, if an amnesty was announced suddenly, and it it was of quite limited duration (say a month) that would allow very little time for the preparation of a forgery.

As you say, though, somebody would come up with some kind of forgery which, however unconvincing, would still attract its avid supporters.

It was just a thought.

Regards, Bridewell.
      Last edited by Bridewell; 03-17-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: Remove ambiguity
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Bridewell, it wasn't a bad idea. I'm sure we are still waiting to hear from the BBC's one show on this though?

Comment

Many happy returns.

Hello Bridewell. It was a good thought. Wish some things would come back.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Bridewell. It was a good thought. Wish some things would come back.

Cheers.
            LC
            There was a recent aquisition of some trial transcripts of Lizzie Borden, which were evidently deliberately kept from public, not because of fear of unlawful holding and recriminations but because of the fear of misinterpretation of the transcripts.

I would love to think this sort of thing could emerge on the JTR case, as everyone else. This sort of news story I think gives a little hope things could come forth someday.

Comment

Hello Bridewell,

Amnesty? Well both 2 and 3 years ago threads were started asking for either the same thing or for people to give back what they 'obtained'...anonymously of course. i reckon the only way it would happen is if the persons in posession of any items felt they had no use for them anymore, or couldn't sell them on the quiet.

I honestly do not think they care about amnesty because wiping documents for prints and posting them anonymously to the NA would be no problem.

IF anyone has anything they shouldnt have, they have a reason for keeping it. Whatever that is.

People are strange creatures. Pride, gain, ego, reputation, money, are amongst the things that influence human beings at times.

kindly

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

theorist

Hello Beowulf. Well, talk like that could brand you a conspiracy theorist.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Where an "amnesty" might do a bit of good is if a situation arises where someone dies while in possession of a document, and the relatives don't now what to do with it. In the case of the relatives, there would of course be no question of prosecution in the first place - but an assurance of confidentiality might facilitate the return of the document.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Beowulf. Well, talk like that could brand you a conspiracy theorist.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Lol. I never thought of it that way. I do see the following post by Robert as having merit.

"Where an "amnesty" might do a bit of good is if a situation arises where someone dies while in possession of a document, and the and the relatives don't now what to do with it. In the case of the relatives, there would of course be no question of prosecution in the first place - but an assurance of confidentiality might facilitate the return of the document."

I once read quite a lot about the Salem Witch Trials. In that there were 9 judges, one of whom was Samuel Sewall. His brother was the court clerk, Stephen Sewall. They wrote each other daily for years, reporting all in their lives to each other.

All that correspondence is still around, except for anything to do with the trials between the two. Those are conspicuously absent.

It is supposed that those documents are held by likely a descendant who did not want the negative comments revealed, because Samuel Sewall is the only judge who repented of hanging the 'witches' and was sorry. I think it is likely his brother had the same sentiment. The statements in the trials Sewall would've made would be inflammatory at best.

But if there is any chance of these coming to light an amnesty agreement would probably encourage it.

Or does this sound further like a conspiracy?

Comment

amnesty

Hello Beowulf. I guess I am not sure why an amnesty is needed. If the documents pop up mysteriously, as they did before, how would they be traced to someone? Who would wish to do so?

It seems to me that, IF someone wished to return one of the genuine, original documents, one could do so now--without let or hindrance.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Working...
                      X