No announcement yet.

Before it's too late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if an individual's name was taken down when they bought a railroad passenger ticket?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan

Well, Andy Spallek's the man for this, though I should think it would have been impossibly bureaucratic to take a name every time a ticket was sold. However. long term tickets entitling the holder to travel for several months or a year might have the person's name and address on the back, in case the ticket got lost and handed in. I doubt if the railway company would have a record, though.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Whilst I doubt that names would have been recorded for single or return tickets it does seem that they recorded names for season tickets as the below picture courtesy of the National Railway Museum, York shows.

This was the railway line used by Druitt.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys. So I guess faint hope at most.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            I was 24 when Inspector Keaton died.
            Was this the only "involved" person to be recorded on audio? There were means of recording going all the way back to 1888.

Stan Reid

Comment

Are there any aerial photos of Whitechapel in that era? They would have to be from a lighter than air craft obviously.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan,

The airplain wasn't invinted untill the early 1900's. So, I dont think there would be.

Also, I don't think they had yet invinted a camera that could withstand the elements of arial flight. It would have to be compatable with however many feet the plain flew in the air.

I think I have seen a drawing of Whitechapel drawn by an artist in a hot air ballon.

Not as good or preciese as a photo though.
                Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Yes, the airplane wasn't developed until 1903. That's why I said lighter than air, that is, light-gas and hot-air balloons as well as some primitive airships. There were kites and gliders too but they would likely have been too unstable.

Stan Reid

Comment

HI stan,

Sorry, didn't see that. Well I do remember seeing a drawing, I think on John Bennetts thread of photos. I am not sure though. However, I am sure there is one.
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                      Stan,

The airplain wasn't invinted untill the early 1900's. So, I dont think there would be.

Also, I don't think they had yet invinted a camera that could withstand the elements of arial flight. It would have to be compatable with however many feet the plain flew in the air.

I think I have seen a drawing of Whitechapel drawn by an artist in a hot air ballon.

Not as good or preciese as a photo though.
                      According to this http://www.papainternational.org/history.html aerial photography was first used in 1858.

Comment

• Thanks Joe. I would have expected that is was some time before 1888 because there was some relatively high speed film by then.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I see on that site that rocket photography as well as a pigeon cam were also under development so that makes 7 possible platforms with 3 LTAs, kites and gliders.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I wonder if anyone connected to the early Ripper movies might have conducted some interviews.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                              I wonder if anyone connected to the early Ripper movies might have conducted some interviews.
                              By this I meant, interviewed extant people who had an actual connection to the case.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                                By this I meant, interviewed extant people who had an actual connection to the case.
                                The same would hold true for the 50th anniversary newspaper and magazine articles.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X