Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardh View Post
    Regarding the layout for Miller's Court;
    I've read on these forums somewhere or other that the toilets were actually outside the window to No. 13 (next to the water pump?). Is this correct? I was under the impression that the toilet block was at the far left end of the court (as you look up from the entrance).

The toilets were indeed at the far left end of the court in 1888 but by the time of the Eliza Roberts murder 10 years later they were outside Kelly's two windows and the Millers Court 'courtyard' had become an alleyway.

A nice representation of the pump there but it's in the wrong place.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

This is fabulous work, thank you Stephen for making it possible to see these places and walk them, too. I truly am in awe and anxiously awaiting the completion of your project!

Perhaps this is what ghosts are, we, in the virtual world, and they merely revisiting...

do you feel like the great architect? lol.

Comment

Virtual Reality

With virtual reality software becoming increasingly available, it won't be long before this type of product evolves from a navigate around 1888 Whitechapel by mouse click on your computer to the virtual experience of actually walking around 1888 Whitechapel. So cool. I hope I have the chance to kick the buttocks of that virtual Whitechapel fiend, Vincent Van Gogh
        Last edited by Barnaby; 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM. Reason: profanity!

Comment

I think the "augmented reality" stuff, available on Apple gadgets at the moment could also be useful for a self guided Ripper tour

You hold a phone up and the camera can identify its position exactly and overlay pictures on what you are looking at, a la Andrew Firth's work

ie You could be looking at the location of Millers Court today and on your phone screen you would see a picture from 1888 overlaying the scene

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

A nice representation of the pump there but it's in the wrong place.
            Ahhh! I have an incline It was mis-placed. Where should be then? across the back wall perhaps?

Also, what about the door/windows of the left and right houses?

thanks
            JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
            JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
            ---------------------------------------------------
            JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

lamp support brackets look different, have you seen the JTR PC game, that looks interesting as well.... the whole area has been totally detailed

do you need a powerful pc for this, because i think you do with Poser 3D as well.

Comment

Ahhh! I have an incline It was mis-placed. Where should be then? across the back wall perhaps?

Also, what about the door/windows of the left and right houses?
                Yes, the pump was on the side wall and it can be seen in a drawing found in an old newspaper by the lovely researcher from Yorkshire, Debra Arif.

The position of the doors and windows of the houses in the court are completely unknown except for numbers 11 and 12 which are shown in a map produced in the Kitty Ronan trial which was unearthed recently by Mark Ripper for his book Whitechapel and District.
                Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 02-06-2012, 01:21 AM.
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thanks Stephen,
                  I've moved the pump to the correct(ish) location. I've also been working on the left and right side houses and also I've altered the lamp support brackets as mentioned by Malcome. It's looking pretty good now. I will post some new render images tomorrow evening if I can.

Oh, is there a third floor to the left/right houses or are they just ground and 1st floor?

thanks
                  JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                  JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                  JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

just Google it and look at the images, it's all there

millers court dorset st JTR............. is all you need

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                      The position of the doors and windows of the houses in the court are completely unknown except for numbers 11 and 12 which are shown in a map produced in the Kitty Ronan trial which was unearthed recently by Mark Ripper for his book Whitechapel and District.
                      This one provides limited information, Stephen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcourt2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	663427

Comment

This has already been touched upon on these forums. Several people have started similar projects and indeed I think we all agree that the best example so far of recreations of Whitechapel are those done by Jaakko Luukanen. Monty kindly sent me some images and links of the things that he and Jaakko had achieved and indeed I posted on these forums a while back about my intention to do something similar.

My intention is to create a virtual whitechapel similar to the kinds of things I've mentioned above. My project however will allow you to walk around the various 'murder districts' in real time (well 1888!). You will be able to create an account, login, choose a character (Victorian wo(man)), Launch the system and be dropped into Whitechapel to walk around freely viewing all the JtR locations. You won't be alone because others will be able to walk around with you. If you are aware of things called MMORPG's (Google is your friend) then you will understand what I'm going to create. However, at this stage I don't think it will be 'a game'. I originally intended to create a JtR MMO but I'm not so sure now (bad taste an all). BUT I can still create the murder zones and let folk explore them alone or with 'virtual friends'.

I've create about 1/3 (one third) of a mile square of the area around Miller's Court with Miller's Court being the centre(ish) of the zone. It's quite detailed and amazingly fun to 'walk around'. The intention is to create the same sizes for the other murder sites and probably other areas of JtR interest. It will take months (indeed it's take months to get this far!) but the finished project should be bloody great!

I am aiming for accuracy and attention to detail so that when you 'walk' around the area it will be an authentic experience (albeit on your PC!). Complete with fog and the odd scurrying rat (you might even be propositioned!).

Anyway, Below I have put some images of Miller's Court as an example and for feedback. The court is not as dirty or cluttered as it will be because I've removed all the crap (brooms, bins, boxes and other shite) just so you can see 13 Miller's Court a bit better. I've not completed the court yet. There is loads to do but it's a start.

Textures (such as the brick) are not finished - treat these images as 'concept art'.

thanks
                        Richard
                        Looks great Richard, cant wait

Comment

Working...
                        X