What was withheld??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stan,
    While I do not hold an opinian of a cover up in the Ripper killings,I do feel that a lot of good information was never recorded,or even reported.Even the beat police,in direct contact with the general public,would have been aware of local rumour,and while a good deal would have been malicious or ill informed,many names would have been bandied about,and many secrets revealed.It happens.Unfortunately,such gossip is rarely recorded in writing,but passed on in speech only,and leads to good information being lost.

Comment

Yes Harry, a lot of gossip does contain a kernel of truth.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

With the vagaries regarding the possible initial strangling of the victims, I suppose that might have been something they were hushing, that is, if there's anything to it.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi all,
          Just to throw a few more bits in to this debate,
          What about the "JTR knife" owned by Donald Rumbelow, if genuine then surely this was information held back at the time. I have often suspected that some type of evidence was found at Miller's court and then witheld,and has been lost or misplaced over the years.

Comment

Going back to possible information that the police didn't make public:
            There was much fuss when the Maybrick "Diary" was published that it contained mention of a small empty tin box found at one of the murder sites, which was apparently not generally known to the public till the 1980s.

But I guess this is just something that was not mentioned at the time rather than purposely witheld by the police...

Comment

SG-That is a possibility, yes.

HK-Is that the empty tin that was found with Eddowes? Was it reported at her inquest?

Stan Reid

Comment

Was there more than one tin in this case?

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  Thanks to Warren, the GSG was withheld from everyone, including investigators.
                  Actually, the look of it was all that was withheld not the content. That is, unless the message that was put out to the public was purposely misstated.

Stan Reid

Comment

I wonder if there might have been some additional information, not revealed, that pointed strongly to Stride as a victim. Even though her murder was quite different, they seemed rather adamant regarding her inclusion. They must have had something else.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      I wonder if there might have been some additional information, not revealed, that pointed strongly to Stride as a victim. Even though her murder was quite different, they seemed rather adamant regarding her inclusion. They must have had something else.
                      Yes I agree totally

Comment

additional information

Hello Stan and Belinda. There was some additional information, but it was not withheld. Baxter, after drawing a contrast with Polly and Annie based on skill of mutilations, and Kate on crudeness of mutilations, goes on to insist that Stride's killer was quick--as in the other killings. He also managed to escape detection.

You are right that they were adamant about her inclusion. They were also adamant about the exclusion of later ones.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Yes, even both could be true.

Stan Reid

Comment

I saw in 50th anniversary newspaper article that a note was left with one of the victims. That's probably inaccurate but if not that must have been withheld.

Stan Reid

Comment

Of course by definition, any undercover police work was withheld.

Stan Reid

Comment

I wonder if they ever did photo lineups back then. If so, we didn't hear about it.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X